Chapter 6

Lennox watched the trees pass by. The other occupants of the carriage were dozing off. He had been riding for a while now. He stopped at the next Inn. It was dark and dingy but will have a warm bed for his family. The kids barely woke, dragging themselves up the stairs to the room they were alloted. Ervyn was getting their food from the Inn staff.
He had the fire going and served him hot soup.

"I will be back as soon as I feed the children. Get in bed once you are done," he said and left. It was so odd to have someone in his life like this, as a constant. Did he like it? He did. Even the part where he gets bossed around a little. Ervyn is just Ervyn. He wouldn't want to change a thing. He didn't resist when Ervyn wrapped the thickest blanket around him.

"I will ride for a while tomorrow. It's too hectic to do on your own," said Ervyn.

"I was a soldier," said Lennox.

"Was. You are an ageing farmer and an Inn keeper now," said Ervyn lowering the light.

"Did you by any means call me-

"Old? Yes."

Lennox tightened his arm around Ervyn who was looking at him challengingly.

"The cleaners are going to curse us tomorrow," said Lennox as he pulled down Ervyn's night robe.

"Let them," said Ervyn wrapping his legs around Lennox. How did he end up here. How is this his life? He made one rash decision after a night he spent clueless by a very unwell Kaden's bedside. He wanted to give his son a second parent and he has succeeded in it. He found a second son for his mother, he found himself a second son in Struan and a friend in Ervyn. They were friends right? He likes to think so.

Lennox was not used to talking about feelings or anything. He has rarely had to talk even as a child and later as a soldier. Ervyn whined in sleep.

"Hush. Sleep," said Lennox moving closer to him.

Next morning, he couldn't talk Ervyn out of not drawing the carriage. So he ended up doing it for half of the journey. But Lennox sat by his side, the children safely inside the carriage. They could hear the excited chatter from inside.

"The lawyer- It's Valence," said Lennox. Ervyn turned to look at him.

"Do you mean my brother Valence Quetil, attorney?" asked Ervyn, eyes narrowing.

Lennox nodded.

Ervyn didn't say anything for a while.

"Well, good to know he wanted to visit me," snarled Ervyn, sarcastic as ever. They reached the estate by nightfall. The children were cocooned in a bed soon after. Ervyn and Lennox met with the staff and then retired to their rooms. Ervyn handled the staff so well. He always knew to handle any situation, no awkwardness - nothing.

Lennox needed a drink. He poured himself one and was sipping on it when Ervyn came out of the bath. He came over and closed the whiskey case.

"That's enough. You have business to attend to in the morning," said Ervyn. He kept the case away and looked at the glass for him. He took a swig and then kissed Lennox. They both tasted of alcohol. Ervyn then tucked his head below Lennox's head.

"Thank you for bringing us. I would have spent the days wondering otherwise," said Ervyn. It was in a way heartening to know that Ervyn cared.

"Let's sleep"

"Yes"

------------

Valence arrived first thing next day. Lennox could see the moment the attorney registered his younger brother's presence. His younger brother who was not looking anywhere at him.