Ashton's voice echoes from the living room as he talks to Aiden. Distinctly, I can hear those words again. Doctor. Therapist.

My heart becomes more restless as reality comes crashing down on me. The incident two years ago has broken Aiden worse than I could imagine, to the point that he still needs therapy after all these years.

When I arrive in the kitchen, the words Ian says to me snap me out of my thoughts, "Hot chocolate."

I look up at him. "Sorry?"

"Hot chocolate," he repeats. "He likes it. I'll show you how to make his favorite drink."

I'm still staring cluelessly when Ian opens the cupboard.

"This might be surprising for you, but he likes it with marshmallows." Amusement fills the old man's voice, and when he returns to me with a cup in his hand, a warm smile spreads across his face.

I watch as he puts the cocoa powder, sugar, milk, vanilla, and marshmallow jar on the counter.

Before I know it, I'm making Aiden's favorite drink. I listen to Ian as he talks about Aiden's preference for the drink. By the time I finish making the hot chocolate with marshmallows, Ian stares at it with a satisfied smile.

"It smells so good." I stare at the drink too. It really does.

"Now, you can bring it to him,"  Ian says.

I freeze. Uneasiness stirs inside me again.

"But he doesn't want me there." I still remember how he wanted me gone.

Ian sighs. "He just didn't like that you saw him in his most vulnerable state. Don't take it to heart."

"Had the nightmares not stopped?" I ask, unable to hide the worry in my voice. "Is it always that bad?" 

Sadly, Ian nods. "As you can see, it affects him that badly. It's always that bad. The woman Ashton was talking about, Olivia, was Aiden's bride. She left him at the altar two years ago."

Remembering that incident makes me want to collapse, so I can't imagine what Aiden is feeling.

"She left him for his best friend, whom she later married in Switzerland," Ian says. "It was a huge blow for Aiden."

I almost hit the counter behind me due to the shock. "They're married?" I stutter.

"Yes." Sadness fills Ian's eyes. "Shortly after she flew to Switzerland with him, they got married. They've been staying there since then."

I shake my head in disbelief and turn around. My eyes squeeze shut as I grip the edge of the counter to control my emotions.

The scene I witnessed two years ago plays in my mind, and I want to disappear from this world.

Why is it so unfair? Why does Aiden have to suffer this much?

"You might want to give the drink to him now before it gets cold," Ian reminds me softly, and I take a deep breath.

My hands are shaking when I take the cup. I'm afraid that I would drop it, but I'm trying my best to compose myself.

Slowly, I walk toward the living room. My heart breaks again as I see Aiden sitting on the couch with his arms on his knees. His eyes are focused on the ground.

"I made hot chocolate." I place the cup on the coffee table carefully while Aiden looks up at me.

I don't know why, but I can't bring myself to look at his face.

"I just wanted to bring this to you," I say in a small voice. Without waiting for his response, I quickly add, "I guess I should go now."

Just when I'm about to leave, I feel his hand on my wrist stopping me. My heart thumps as I see the serious look on his face.