Ch 13 - Poetry Reading

- now -

"You were pretty mad about that too," Shinso chuckled over the memories. His kitten slept comfortably next to his shoulder like a little white ascot.

"I can't decide if you just enjoy dragging me around like a zombie or if you're just an incredibly impatient person," I said.

"Maybe both," he continued, "So, Bakugo was going after people well before me. Tell me about the others. When did you start noticing something odd. Eventually, you did text me, and we talked about it a little, but then..."

Yeah. But then.

"The more I think about it, they were always a bit possessive," I said, "At first it was nothing, but the longer we stayed friends the worse it got. They started not liking people from our own class talking to me too much. I was uncomfortable hanging out with anyone outside of our circle," I felt the stinging insecurities from the past attacking my chest. It tightened until I felt like I couldn't breathe.

I focused on the moving water under the bridge and tuned out my other emotions. It was exhausting having to live like this. Even since before I met those boys, it seemed like I had to fight a lot of my battles alone. And when I finally asked for help, it was too late, apparently.

"So, it wouldn't be out of character for them to go after Yaoyorozu," Shinso said.

After a minute, I looked back up at Shinso, "The hardest part about all this, Shinso, is that they really convinced everyone, even me sometimes, that I could have been wrong. Even if I tell you that they held me in a house for two weeks, or possibly even killed... someone. I can't prove it. I'm not sure we can."

Shinso nodded. I think he knew that too but he was letting me vent which I appreciated. He was surprisingly expressive for looking like a sleepy cat all the time. His brows pulled together and his frown deepened. "I'm sorry you had to experience any of that," he said, "but I'm also sorry that I was an ass at the time and of no use to you."

"Was an ass?"

He smirked.

"The others," I carried on, "I knew Kirishima was a little too in love with me, but he was so sweet at times that I let it slide. I let a lot of things slide. I was at UA and training harder than ever and felt like I could handle anything... Even some lovesick boys."

- then -

"(Y/N)?"

I heard someone knock on my door. For the last few evenings I had been hiding away in my dorm room after dinner to avoid having to socialize with my "friends."

It wasn't that I hated any of them. I felt guilty, especially when I kept getting texts from Kaminari or Kirishima that they missed me. So far, they had all been polite enough to at least not barge into my room and demand my attention.

So this was a surprise.

"It's me," I could hear Sero on the other side, "Look, I dunno what's goin on but I have chocolate and I was kinda wondering if you needed help with your homework? 'Cause I sure do..."

I snorted. I could imagine the awkward smile on his face as he admitted his struggles in academics. We used to study together often before Bakugo sucked up all my time.

With a surrendering huff, I pushed my lazy ass off my bed and opened the door just a crack. Sero looked cozy, again; a loose hoodie and a beanie sagging on his head.

He flashed me a giant bar of chocolate from one of his sweater pockets and raised his brows suggestively, "I think you'll like it better unwrapped."