33

After a couple of hours of office work, I put the last files into the archives and began my walk towards the gathering room.

Knowing the fact that Brandon would be there, made me feel the urge of getting there faster. Whether I would sit with him or not, his presence was just enough for me.

I smoked a cigarette on my way through the corridor and heavily breathed in the toxic smoke for the burning stick to reach its end. Every nerve got settled with the refill, and yet again I got into the perfect state of mind.

Finally, I reached the huge entrance doors, opened them up, and stepped inside the spacious room with high ceilings, looking around while walking through it.

With no sign of Brandon, I decided to sit down next to Mildred who had already begun to read her usual telltale magazine.

Without even noticing it myself, I desperately searched the room over and over again, hoping to find my sight on the gorgeous, imposing killer from Ward 5.

With not much of success and a strong feeling of disappointment, I started small talking with Mildred instead. It felt so nice having friends at work, who even had the same scheduled hours as myself.

Because of the reason I couldn't talk to Dolores or Vincent about my job, it felt extraordinary to have people inside the institution that I could talk to as my friends.

In the middle of a conversation regarding the latest gossip about Elvis Presley and his newly released hit song called Jailhouse Rock, I suddenly got interrupted by the big double doors opening up the room.

As always, with a guard tightly pacing behind, he walked into the room and passed through the silence and many staring eyes. He really drove all the attention to himself. I shivered as the room turned completely upside down by the atmosphere he caused.

The tall, white-dressed man spotted me where I sat next to Mildred, and his intense, beautifully mysterious gaze immediately struck mine. Not even for a second he let go of my eyes while walking through the room. I felt my hands getting humid because of the captivating, slow passing moment, and my breath got heavier as I tried to settle myself from the heavy arouse.

Halfway through the room, he turned his steps to the right and started walking in my direction.
Just like the last time, he sat down in the armchair in front of me and Mildred, but this time without asking first.

"Nice to see you made it here, Brandon," I stated, still looking deep into his umber eyes. Mildred stayed quiet and I could sense her discomfort in the air between us. Brandon made his normal rude grin while leaning back in the armchair.

"I told you I would come, didn't I?" His intense eyes made me feel embarrassed.

"I thought you might fell back to sleep?" I replied with an assertive voice, trying to keep my power over him and not fall for his cockiness.

I was pleased with the way he acted towards me in front of others, but I would lie if I said that his brutal rudeness and narcissism didn't make me a bit fretful.

"You know I never lie," Brandon's words slipped out short and harsh, as yet they were filled with irony. I was well aware that he was not a liar, but if he happened to fall asleep to miss the gathering hour, I wouldn't call that lying even if he told me he would attend. I took a deep breath while looking at him with kind eyes.

"I know, Brandon,"

It got quiet between us and when the presence was no longer manageable for Mildred, she raised from her chair and laid her soft hand on my shoulder before she left.

"I'll see you later,"

I smiled at Mildred's friendly face and nodded my head at her before she disappeared to leave me alone with the well-known psycho inmate.

Suddenly remembering that I needed to tell Brandon about the approval I got from Dorothy earlier, and that I would take him outside already today, I opened my mouth again to break the silence.

"I have something to tell you," Brandon's eyes got wide of curiosity, and he adjusted his position and leaned forward only to get closer to me. My heart pounded as he approached me like a magnet.

"Then tell me?" His intimidating grin made me feel submissive.

"I spoke to Ms. Schwartz this morning. She approved for me to take you out in the garden. We have two hours after lunch, if you still want to?"

A shy smile formed my lips, but I kept myself a little held back to wait for Brandon's reaction.
His face didn't even twitch an inch.

"That's great," His dark voice didn't sound very impressed. I knew his feelings and physical hyperactivity probably were a bit numb due to the strong drugs he was on, but I did expect some sort of reaction after his beg of taking him outside.

"Don't you think?" My insecurity took over which made me speak out those stupid words of verification. He made me feel so small and so dumb.

"I just told you I did?"

Once again I felt embarrassed and foolish for asking him that question and I recalled the lying part again. Of course, he wouldn't have told me it was great if he didn't think it was, because he never lied.

"Yes you did, I'm sorry," I grinned slightly to ease the moment and thankfully, Brandon did the same. One part of me wished that I didn't have to be so careful with every word around him, but still, that was one of the things that brought the excitement. The constant unawareness about what the next reaction would be, the constant wonder about what the next response would be.

Everything about his unreliable mentality made it more exciting to be near him. His mysterious way of acting and uncontrollable emotions made him appear so powerful and terrifying even though he was a weak and torn-down human being.

"Thank you... you know... for doing that,"
Brandon suddenly emitted with a low and raspy voice, looking down at his tied hands placed in his lap.

I could tell in his body language that it was hard for him to speak out those words, so I decided not to make a thing of it and just gave him a friendly smile instead.

"You're welcome,"