사십칠(Forty Seven) - S

Start from the beginning

"It's okay."

"-day and he looked so happy so I...wait huh?"

"It's okay, don't worry about it."

Pausing, I couldn't help but feel confused for despite what he had just said, nothing of Jimin's demeanor had changed. Silently, he removes his arm from my hold, as I let my hand drop awkwardly while he pulls his phone out, tapping on the screen a few times before he finally speaks again.

"I got email from 협박 자 (hyopppak ja/blackmailer) early...early this morning."

"협박 자... you mean the blackmailer?" I asked, unsure of the sudden unfamiliar term.

"Yeah, here."

I could feel my entire body turning cold upon seeing the familiar screenshot attached, the screenshot of that email that I had just recently received from that sickening excuse of a human being, that email that I cried to Namjoon about, that email that broke me down yet again. And to make things worse was that below that single screenshot, was an intentionally Korean-translated version of the email, the taunting hangul alphabets only make my goosebumps raise even further for I knew what this meant.

He had read it, Jimin had read and understood that entire email.

"Was I...was I going to know, Sophie?" He questions, and even though he had always called me by my name on multiple occasions, this was the first time that it felt very different, very distant.

"I...I was going to tell you a little nearer towards new years-"

"Ah, 진짜요 (jinjja-yo/Really)?"

The words that initially formed were now stuck at my throat upon hearing Jimin's scoff, as he retracts his phone before tapping on it a few times and turning the screen back towards me. This was when I discovered that it wasn't just one email, the blackmailer had sent a chain of emails to him, all containing screenshots of my conversations with Namjoon, and some with Hoseok - it was just me mainly telling him that I felt crappy without really elaborating on anything else - as Jimin just stares at me, the warmth usually held behind his eyes missing as it was replaced with cold emotional indifference.

"Ji-Jiminie-"

"그러지 마세요...지금 당장은 그런 이름으로 부르지 마세요 (Don't...don't call me that right now)." He cuts me off in Korean immediately, as I could feel the tightness in my chest grow with my hands trembling while he repeats himself. "Was I going to know?"

"Jimin..."

"Namjoon Hyung knows, Hoseok Hyung knows. Was I...Park Jimin, your boyfriend-"

"Ho-Hoseok Oppa d-doesn't know anything..." I choked out, the tears spilling from my eyes as I could no longer control them. "O-Only N-Namjoon Oppa knows about m-my issue with the school, no one else...I d-didn't tell anyone else."

Jimin doesn't say or do anything, waiting for me to continue as I could only stutter my way through my words.

"I-It's not that I d-didn't want to t-tell you...I do, I really d-do...It's just I d-don't want you to worry about me, b-because I know you do and I didn't want you to look at me d-differently too b-because of this and-"

"Different? Why...why will I look at you different?"

He was a lot quicker with picking up on words now, just as I paused upon comprehending what I had just said. From the email, all Jimin understood was that I was having an academic-related crisis towards my graduation, but it clearly did not make any sense to him on why he would look at me differently if I wasn't able to graduate. He stares at me with furrowed eyebrows while I could only look back at him tearily, realising how much I have messed up at this point, of trying to avoid talking about the incident.