24. A Thousand Pieces

24. A thousand pieces

 A thousand pieces

"Rohit?"

"Hmm?"

"What is life?"

"..."

"I mean, why are we alive now if we have to die, everyone has to die then why live?" Sona's words were intently heard, "that woman died, just died..." Sona said, teary eyed, "she just died..."

Rohit held Sona as they were under the duvet, normally after they have sex, Sona would be the first to fall asleep but given what had happened today, Rohit knew Sona would not sleep this early. Instead, he kissed her forehead, as she wrapped her arms around his chest, Sona had seen death for the first time today. As a surgeon, death was part of his work, and he had grown immune to the entire idea of death and after-life, he knew he'd go crazy if he keeps thinking about death like this but of course, to his wife, death was such a sensitive matter. 

Sona had dropped in Rohit's cabin today to see him off before she left for a weekend trip with all the Sippy family, but when she arrived, she saw a women die on the way to the OT. Not only did Sona see that woman bleed out, she also saw how her husband was literally in tears hours later, knowing that his wife did not make it and the worse was that she was a few months pregnant. 

That man lost his wife and his baby in a matter of seconds.

After the blood gore she saw, Sona was numb, any sane person would. But Rohit knew how sensitive Sona was and immediately sent her home, but the damage was done. Sona did not leave for the weekend trip and spent the entire day in bed, only in pain and shock. 

When Rohit came home, that evening, he comforted her, held her, and she insisted he'd make love to her and he did, hoping that sex would wipe away her fears for a while and after a repetitive session of their love making, Sona and Rohit lay silent on their bed. He knew she was not asleep and waited for her to speak, to let out her fears, to communicate what was happening in her head.

"Death is inevitable," Sona concluded, as Rohit ran circles on her bare shoulder, "why are we even here then?" 

"That is life, Sona, this is how life is intended to be." Rohit finally spoke, as he kissed her hair, "and death makes life even more beautiful..."

Sona looked at Rohit, confused, "how?" She shook her head, "how do you think the death of that man's wife and his unborn child is going to make his life blissful? how is death going to make anyone happy?" She was angry, she wanted answers and Rohit smiled softly at his stubborn wife. "Why are we even living if we all just have to die one random day?"

Rohit knew she was angry, just like he was when his father died, or when his grandmother died and he let her be. These questions often needed to be just heard, and not answered.