15. kahaan hum kahaan tum

"Rohit, kitchen main kya kar rahe ho?"

Rohit smiled at Suman, his sweet but scary mother-in-law, and greeted her a good morning and she replied back with a soft smile. "Mumma, I am trying to make some coffee for me, really need some after our jagrata yesterday. You want some?" He asked and Suman shook her head, nervously looking behind her and then gulped, hoping to say something to him.

Suman Rastogi looked so strict and rude, honestly when Rohit first met Suman at a mutual party and saw her argue with someone for her seat, Rohit was shit scared of her. More than confessing to Sona about his love, he was scared and nervous to ask Suman for her daughter's hand in marriage. He still remembers how he almost ran away from there but Sona threatened him to be a man and ask it or she would ask Suman herself.

But Suman only laughed when Rohit finally asked her approval. She was never going to reject him anyway and was just pretending with Sona to act all firm. In fact, at the end of their evening Suman had joined her hands and thanked Rohit for marrying her Sona and Rohit had hugged her, knowing that this mother was also his now.

Sona only spoke highly about her mother and loved her siblings, but Rohit never knew why the family never spoke about their father.

"Mumma, something is wrong right?" Rohit snapped his fingers in front of Suman, "apne bete se share nahi karogi?"

"Rohit, tumse kuch baat karni thi, kuch serious..."

"I have checked your quartely health reports, mumma, all is fine and you have nothing to worry about. In fact, aapka jo sugar level hai woh..."

Suman shook her head, taking another step closer and holding his hand, "it's about Sona."

Rohit felt uneasy, he shook his head, "Sona? Kya hua Sona ko?"

"Kuch hua nahi hai," Suman assured him, glad that Sona still worried him. "I have to tell you something, and it's really important that you know about this."

"Mumma you are scaring me now," Rohit asked, his heart beating in anxiety. "Please, tell me, what is wrong? Kya hua hai meri Sona ko?"

"Woh Sona..."

"Sona kya?"

While Rohit was startled at Sona's voice coming from the entrance, while Suman's face was white in fear and she turned to see her daughter staring at them. "Kya hua hai Sona ko?"

Suman stammered, not knowing what to say as Rohit understood that she did not want Sona to know about this and held Suman's hand, assuring her. "Kyu, why should we tell you what we were talking about huh?" He said aloud as Sona furrowed her eyebrows at him, "Do I ask when you and mom talk non-stop, huh? Arrey just like you two have your own secrets we have ours? Right?" Rohit asked Suman who nodded, trying her best to not worry and Sona shrugged.

"Sheesh, okay, geez," Sona shook her head, raising her hand mid-air, "don't have to be so cranky."

Suman exused herself from the kitchen while Sona busied herself in making a chocolate milk for her son who had demanded it from her. Rohit made a mental note to talk to Suman later about whatever she was so worried about and tried fixing himself a coffee. He then saw Sona melting chocolate and boiling milk, "Sona? Ronak ke liye chocolate milk bana rahi ho?"

"hmmm,"

"mere liye coffee bana dogi please," He pouted, forwarding the coffee mug and beans to her, as she glared at him. "You already are boiling the milk right, come on..." She still kept glaring at him and he tsked, "please Sona, your coffee's are so good, I can never make them the way you do, pretty please..."