՞՞173՞՞

We went to the living room and found the lizard bored in its cage. As much as I hate it, I can't help but feel relieved that it's gonna have a nice enclosure in the new house, cause the cage looks too small to be comfortable.

And now comes the worst part. Clay is scared of the mealworms while I'm scared of the lizard.

"Let's just give her celery." Clay looked away when he saw the bucket full of worms.

I took a moment to google if it was safe for bearded dragons to eat celery, cause I was scared to kill it on the very first day. Turns out they eat veggies.

Clay took a single celery stick out of the fridge and brought it close to the cage, sticking it in and waiting for the lizard to take a bite. Needless to say, it never did.

"You need to chop it up." I looked back and forth between the lizard and the celery. Both looked motionless.

"I'm not a chef and it has teeth." Clay was so annoyed, yet he still chopped it up after seeing the judgemental look on my face.

The lizard was still unsatisfied with the menu. It took a single bite and stopped eating. It refused to take another bite even when Clay tried to handfeed it.

"Maybe it wants protein." I stated.

"I'm not gonna step a foot near those things," he shook his head, "do lizards drink protein shakes?"

"You're either gonna make it starve to death or die of poisoning." I pointed at the lizard and saw it wink at me slowly. Great.

"Let it die then."

I couldn't believe Clay was mean enough to say that. As much as I hate that creature, I still feel bad thinking that it might be hungry.

I gave Clay a dirty look and made my way to the bucket. It took a lot of courage to force myself to open the lid and look at the shiny disgusting mess.

"Are you actually gonna do it?" I could tell why Clay sounded so worried, "But you're scared of lizards.."

"Yeah, but I feel bad for it. And I'm not a pussy." Apparently I punched a hole in his voluminous ego with my words.

"Give it to me, I'll do it." He came closer to grab the worm-filled bucket, but I refused to give it to him. Not to annoy him or tease him, I just didn't want him to feel forced to step out of his comfort zone because of a stupid remark I made.

"It's okay, I need to overcome my fear cause apparently bearded dragons live more than 10 years." I joked, remembering the google search result that popped up even though I didn't look for it.

"No, I'll do it." His stubbornness started to trigger mine. I hate when this happens.

"You'll do it next time, it's fine." I tightened my grip around the bucket, but his hands landed on it as well.

"I want to do it now," he pulled the bucket, but my grip was stronger. And it annoyed him even more, "just give it to me!"

And just like that he applied a lot of force into the act of trying to snatch the bucket and ended up flipping it over.

A good amount of wiggly worms spilled all over the fuzzy carpet, making me quickly put away whatever was left of them in the bucket and jump away in pure disgust.

Clay was more scared than me though, cause I saw him climb on the sofa immediately before I could even step a foot away from the carpet.

And now the worms are wiggling away.

"Do something!" Clay screamed, terrified at the sight of some worms crossing the border of the carpet and ending up on the actual floor.

"What am I supposed to do!?" An unpleasant chill ran down my spine from the scene. Even though I wasn't necessarily scared of worms, they still disgusted me.

"Burn the carpet, I don't care!" And as you can see, Clay is scared, disgusted and just straight up mortified.

I wasn't going to pick up those worms. No way I would do that. So instead I went to Lizzy's cage, opened the door and waited for her to go clean up the carpet. Yet the stupid thing didn't even step a foot out of the cage.

"Come pull her out." I looked at Clay, but he didn't seem confident enough to get down.

"Why?" His face features got deformed from disgust.

"Just come here, won't you?"

Clay tip-toed his way across the living room, avoiding the carpet and a large diameter of space surrounding it. Soon enough his hands were inside the cage, trying to grab the bearded dragon.

There were a lot of things about to go downhill from that point.

First of all, I got scared when the lizard showed its beard, so I looked away.

When I did, I saw that the mealworms were everywhere on the floor, which made me panic.

Then I heard Clay groan and pull his hand out with a jerky motion, and when I looked, I saw that the skin of his pointer finger was completely broken and bleeding.

And as if all of that wasn't enough, Patches lost her mind seeing the wiggling worms on the floor, trying to chase them then realizing that there were too many. It made her meow loudly and jump everywhere to avoid them.

"Motherfucker!" Clay was about to put his bleeding finger in his mouth, but I stopped him, thinking that it wasn't that hygienic, "Patches, baby no."

His switched up real fast seeing the panicking cat and tried to calm her down by calling her name, psps-ing aggressively to get her attention. Yet nothing worked.

The worms were everywhere. And Clay saw one of them almost touching his foot.

"AAAAaaaaa!"

That was the last thing I heard before seeing him run out of the house barefoot with a lightning speed. And when I felt something heavy on my foot and realized that Lizzy decided to come out of her cage finally, I screamed as well, trying to run as fast as I could, snatching Patches in the process when I saw her fluffed up in the corner of the room, terrified of what was going on.

I'm sure I squished some worms in the process, cause my socks felt weirdly wet and lumpy when I came out of the house. So not thinking about it twice, I took them off without the help of my hands and ran towards Clay, who was just standing outside, mortified.