Ch 48: Recast Tommy

I sat alone outside looking at the energy field. I took a deep breath standing up looking around at the many tents.

"You think she really meant to do this? Take hostage a town?" I asked walking up to Lily.

"You know her better than I, do you think she would do something like this?" She asked.

"Never" I said.

She smiled shaking her head.

"Something about all of this seems weird to me" I said. "Why did S.W.O.R.D. have George's body? It makes no sense."

"It doesn't" she said. "None of it does. How did they even manage to do it?"

"You don't think they're trying to portray her as a villain?" I asked. "You think he knows about-"

"Don't say it out loud" she said cutting me off. "I don't trust anyone here but you, Violet. But I'm afraid you might be on to something."

Sometime later I sat as Monica talked about getting into the hex.

"What'd I miss?" Jimmy asked bringing in coffee.

He set a cup in front of Lily and I. I smiled taking a small sip before slowly swallowing it.

"The twins aged up to ten" Lily said.

"Holy Christmas" Jimmy said.

"I know an aerospace engineer who would be up for this challenge" Monica smiled.

"I can't guarantee the hex won't erase your memory" Darcy said.

"Wait what's the hex?" Monica asked.

"It's what Darcy nicknamed the anomaly because of its shape" I said.

"Have we identified these minors? Or the newborns?" Jimmy asked pointing to the two younger boys on the screen.

"Oh, Natalia's twins are hers" Monica said. "Everything might look fake in the TV but everything in there is real."

"But Natalia manipulates people's perceptions, makes them hallucinate" Jimmy said.

"Yeah that's her whole bag" Darcy said. "If all the sets, props and wardrobe were solid matter, that would mean she's wielding an insane amount of power."

"Far exceeding anything she's displayed in the past" Jimmy said.

"Uh, she could have taken out Thanos on her own if he hadn't initiated a blitz" Monica said. "I mean nobody else came close."

"Well I'd argue that Captain Marvel came close" Jimmy said.

Monica's body language had changed with that name.

"We're not here to talk about her" I said.

They all turned to Lily and I.

"How did you two know about this again?" Monica asked.

"Natalia and I have a direct blood connection, so I can feel when she's in a certain amount of pain" Lily said. "When she was born there was a spell cast on her."

"What kind of spell?" Monica asked.

"It's essentially a tracking spell" she said. "Each of Wanda's children was entrusted with a protector, I am Natalia's."

I followed Lily as we walked around the tents.

"I think we should keep our guard up around them" she said in my mind.

I nodded agreeing with her. I looked up as a drone went into the hex. I ran into the main tent. Darcy sat in front of the television.

"She recast Tommy?" Darcy said.

"What?" I asked.

I ran towards her looking at the screen. I turned around to Lily as Natalia hugged Tommy.

"What the hell?" I said.

I sat staring at the screen as arguing was heard feet away.

"We actually have no idea what will happen if Natalia dies" Monica said.

I turned my head to see her and Hayward arguing.

"So what? We just surrender to that?" He asked. "Not happening!"

"We can't outgun her. And clearly antagonizing her is only making things worse! If Natalia is the problem she has to be our solution!" She said.

Hayward ordered Monica to be taken away along with Jimmy and Darcy. He turned to Lily and I.

"Anyone lays a hand on me or my colleague it will be war and it will be something you will not win" Lily said. "Without us you don't have a chance against Natalia."

He walked away not saying another word. I turned back to the screen as Natalia was in a hallloween costume similar to her mother's old suit. I smiled at how happy she looked walking over to the two boys.

"What are their names?" Lily asked.

"James and Sirius" I said.

A smile formed on her face watching the screen with me.