Ch 38: Jean Grey

I looked into the mirror fixing the face mask as it was right below my eyes covering nearly my whole face. I punched the mirror as it chattered into pieces. I walked out of the bathroom turning to the window as it poured outside.

I closed my eyes transporting into an alleyway of a near abandoned town. I kicked down the front door to be faced with Jean.

"Interesting get up" she said. "Wasn't expecting so much black in it. Also was not expecting the trail of dead bodies you left behind."

"I may have killed them but you led them to their death" I said.

"It's fascinating seeing this dark side of you" she smiled. "I suppose you come here to kill me?"

I threw a psionic ball to her as she dodged it.

"I may have not been ready for our fights in the past but I am now" I said.

I levitated her body throwing her out the window. I looked down levitating my body to the ground kicking her back down as she began to get up. I held my hand up as it glowed taking control of her mind.

"You killed them" I said. "You've lived with the Phoenix Force for so long that now if it's taken, you won't be able to survive without."

I placed my other hand on her neck as a yellow light left her body going into mine. I looked into her eyes as I absorbed the half of the Phoenix Force that was once mine. I dropped her body to the ground feeling the energy coarse through my veins. I began repeatedly punching her as blood splattered on my face, I ripped off my face mask. I grabbed the top of her shirt pulling her up so she was eye level.

"They were kids" I said.

I created a psionic sword holding it to her throat.

"Give me a reason not to kill you" I said.

"Natalia!" Someone yelled from behind.

I turned around to be faced with someone believed to be dead.

"Lily?" Jean said as blood fell from her mouth.

"You let the dark parts of yourself take over" she said. "If you kill her, you're just as bad."

"Why should I show mercy when she killed Alina and Billy like they meant nothing!" I yelled.

I dug the sword deeper into her neck as Lily walked closer.

"Don't come any closer!" I yelled. "I don't want to hurt you."

"You think your father would want this?" She asked.

"You weren't there when he died. You weren't here when any of them died!" I yelled as tears swelled up in my eyes.

"You don't deserve this pain, I know" she said. "I felt your heartache when they died. I should've been there for you, for Wanda but I was to only show myself until the right time, a time of need."

I watched as Jean struggled to breath.

"You didn't show yourself when Voldemort nearly killed your son?" I asked.

"You needed me more" she said.

I created another psionic sword holding both in an X to Jeans throat. Lily stepped forward as a yellow beam left her hand, I let go of one of the swords sending a red psionic beam to fight against Lily's.

"Don't do it!" She yelled.

I pushed the beam out harder as Lily stumbled back. I turned back to Jean slicing her head. I felt a sense of relief watching her head hit the ground. I turned to Lily as I fell to my knees. She ran towards me grabbing my face.

"You are not a villain!" She said. "You let her make you into one. And now look at you? You killed innocent mutants."

"They weren't innocent" I said.

"But they were" she said. "You know just as well as I do that they truly didn't care about Jean and were only frightened. In the end they died anyway."

I felt my head twitch as Lily continued.

"You can't let death impact the type of person you are" she said. "You aren't a killer."

"Maybe I am" I said.

"Billy and Alina didn't deserve the death they got but neither did those mutants" she said. "The darkest parts of you took over and I'm sorry I couldn't be there for you but you need to come back to reality. You have people alive who miss you, who need you."

I thought about George being alone, abandoned. I felt Violet's heartache at having to fight Charles. My breathing increased as I remembered the faces of the mutants I had killed, the fear in their eyes. I saw my mother grieving alone in darkness. I looked up looking into Lily's eyes.

"What have I done?" I asked.

"Natty" she whispered.

She put her forehead to mine as I began crying.