Dreams ~C.L.~

(A/n) - I hope everyone has a great New Year's Eve if you celebrate it during this time!!

West Virginia was supposed to be home, and it was for a few folk, but it was never home to you. Ever since you were a little girl, your dream was to escape the town you lived in. It wasn't terrible, it just wasn't your scene. You wanted to live in a big city and wear fancy clothes everyday, not live in a small town where casual attire consisted of a tank top and jean shorts. You had decided that you were destined for more.

    You attempted to follow your dream and it went well for a while. You had a cute, cozy apartment and worked as an editor for a local newspaper. The only reason your plan failed was because your mom got sick, considering you were the only sibling that didn't live there, you had to move back.

    You were able to get a small place on the edge of town, where the houses were nicer. You found a nice job at the local library; it wasn't the best job but you were grateful. Luckily, considering your circumstances, your old boss allowed you to still edit for the paper. With two jobs, helping take care of your mom, and the emotional strains that came from both you never got to really have a break. One of your co-workers at the library suggested you all go out for drinks at the local bar. You, desperately wanting a break, decided to go.

    You wore one of your nicest clubbing dresses. It was black and short, and the areas of your arms and stomach were able to be seen through the material. You decided on wearing platform stilettos because, goddammit, you were gonna look good.

    When you had gotten to the bar you felt extremely overdressed, but all eyes were on you. One pair of eyes, in particular, caught your attention. They belonged to a bartender, a tall and handsome bartender. A bartender who seemed oddly familiar, too familiar.

    "(Y/N)?" The sound of his voice brought back an array of memories. Memories that you thought you'd forgotten about long ago. Your immediate response was to walk out the door; you don't even know why you did it but you just did. You had been afraid of this, afraid of seeing him.

    Clyde Logan. You had known Clyde since about first grade which wasn't uncommon in Boone county. You had always had a crush on him, you had thought it would have disappeared as you got older but it never did. Though you knew Clyde, you two were never close. Half of your life you doubted that he even knew of your existence.

    There was one night though, that he made you feel as if he'd seen you the entire time. It was the day after graduation, the day before he was going to be deployed. He knocked on your door and asked if you'd spend the day with him. He said he wanted to be with someone who would appreciate this time with him. You, of course, agreed because he was about to risk his life for thousands of others; plus you liked him so it was the perfect day to spend with your crush. The two of you went into his truck and he drove to a clearing in the nearest forest. Many would have been afraid but you were excited; you loved nature so this was amazing for you. You both spent the day there together just talking, dancing, and some other things.

You weren't awoken from the memories until you felt something cold on your shoulder. When you looked up, you were met with the eyes of the man you were trying to escape. His eyes looked different than they had before, they seemed to have darkened.

"You didn't have to run."

"I did, if I wanted my life to stay the same." You moved so that his metal arm was no longer on your shoulder. You then turned around so you were properly looking at him. He had aged perfectly to you. In your opinion, he looked even better now than when you two were young.

"I heard about your ma, I'm sorry."

"It's fine. I heard about your hand, I'm also sorry." It had happened quicker than you thought it would. For some reason those words had sparked a fire within both of your souls, a fire that hadn't burned since your last meeting. His flesh hand grabbed your face and brought your lips together. As if it were a natural instinct, your hands went straight into his hair.

Your dream was to escape Boone county, yet your other dream was to be with Clyde. It had caused you plenty of sleepless nights. When you had found out that Clyde was going to be deployed in Iraq, it was as if one of your dreams was being sent away. Since there was only one dream left you followed that one. Yet as you stand here, enlaced within Clyde's arms, you don't know how to feel.

Naturally, you both came up for air. There was a smile on Clyde's face and a sparkle in his eyes that couldn't be missed. It brought a herd of butterflies in your stomach, flying and fluttering around. Your heart pounded within your chest, you were a little shocked that Clyde couldn't hear it.

"Stay," his voice broke you out of your love filled gaze, "I know it's always been your dream to leave but please, I need you." The words that came out of his mouth filled you with fear. A fear you never knew had existed.

"I can't, Clyde." The words came out as a whisper but they were loud and powerful.

"Then I'll go with you," a look of shock came over your face. "You want to leave and I wanna be with you, so where are we going (Y/N)?" A huge grin replaced the look of shock on your face, a warmth taking over your heart. You let out a soft giggle and took both of Clyde's hands.

"New York."

"Woah, we're going straight into the city-city. We can't take it slow and go to like NOVA or something?" You laughed at Clyde's joke, knowing full heartedly that he was being serious.

"Nope, you're all mine."