Chapter 6

Katherine

"Alouette, gentille alouette,
alouette, je te plumerai, je te plumerai la tête je te plumerai la tête et la tête, et la tête alouette, alouette oh, oh, oh, oh"

I sing as I'm getting ready to go to the shop since I need to pick up somethings pour moi et ma petite Amelia, sorry I sometimes like to talk in French, my baby doesn't know that I'm half French, it's to protect her, if she knows then, I can't say I don't want to say, she will never find out.

I write a note for her to let her know I'm going to be out for a little while, ending the note with kisses, I get my purse and make my way out of the house, I fancy a walk today.

I close the door behind me and start my journey to the shop, I'm thinking about making jackets today, a nice warm dinner. As I turn a corner a hard cold breeze hit me, I stumble back and look around in shock "Miss are you ok?".

In a daze I realise someone has spoken to me, I look and see a man in his late forties...not bad I must say. I clear my throat "Uh yes I'm fine thank you" I tuck a strand of hair behind my ear.

'Jesus why am I so nervous!'.

"Are you sure?" I wave him off "I'm perfectly fine thank you have a nice day!" And I walk away, a secret blush appears on my face.

'It was literally nothing, he just asked if I was ok and that was it! Get it together woman'.

I think about the breeze, no one else was affected they just carried on, don't think too much about it. I see the shop and the trolleys, I take one pound out of my purse and put it in the trolley, I walk in and pull the list out I made yesterday.

First I go to the potato section and get the jackets, now to the vegetable section and get tomatoes, lettuce and cucumber, I decided to make a little salad along with it, now the most important item is salad cream, it is gorgeous especially if its a cheese and cucumber sandwich oh it's heaven!.

Humming to a song that my mother used to sing to me when I was little I look for the salad cream, the light in the shop flickers, I don't think much about it since it happens sometimes.

I just realised something, there's no music, there's always music, as I'm walking down an Isle I see a worker.

'I think I'll ask her what happened to the music'.

Getting closer I catch her attention "Hello miss I was just wondering what happened to the music?" The worker chuckled "Um ma'am I think you need to get some hearing aids the music's playing".

'What?'.

I don't know why but I ask "What's the song?" "Oh it's an old song I've heard it in French class, I'm surprised it's on, it's called Alouette, Gentille Alouette" She smiles.

'What?'.

"Ma'am are you ok? You look a bit pale" Everything's spinning, I try to regain myself, "Yes thank you I'm ok, well I have to get back to my shopping have a nice day" I walk and turn a corner I want to get out of here as soon as possible "Ow!" My ears are filled with loud music, Alouette. My ears finally adjust to the sound but then I stop in my tracks "Mother" I barely hear myself as I whisper, it's her singing.

'It's not possible'.

My jaw clenches and I carry on, I stride through the shop, now gathered all of the things I need and finally at the checkout "Do you need a bag miss?" "Yes please only one", filling the bag with the items the woman says "That is £11:46" I take out my card and hold it on the card machine since I have a contact less one, fancy right?

"Have a nice day" I smile at the woman as I walk out with the trolley, I take the bag out and put the trolley back in it's place and my pound pops out which I take my purse out again and place it in.

'Time to go back home'.

I sigh as I walk back home thinking about today.

'It is not possible, we sent it away it can't find us, I was probably having a moment or something I don't know, but it can't be'.

I walk pass an ally but halt when I hear whistling, it's a song Jackson used to sing, I turn my head to the ally and vaguely see a silhouette of what looks like a man, sat on the ground.

I don't know why but I feel like I have to go in, I harden my grip on my bag and walk in, the noise outside seem to dim as the whistling gets louder, it was a tune that Jackson made up when I was down, he'd hum it too.

I see the outline of the man, seven steps away, I see the man has a hood which covers his face, him looking downward doesn't help.

"Who are you?" I get no reply, my voice more firm and stern this time "I asked you a question, who are you!" A horrible cackling sound filled the ally.

"I see you" He lifts his finger pointing it at me, head still down.

"Le protecteur de la lumière".

'It's time'.

(Merry late Christmas ✌ by the way I haven't read this through so my lazy arse will check it later)