IX

It had been a few days since Lavender had gotten sick. She didn't call anyone in that time, she even missed work without calling in.

Her nose was still stuffy, but she knew it would probably be like that for a while. The fever broke the night before and she was getting ready to leave for work. She was scared that Mr. Ripley was going to fire her. What a silly thought.

Pulling on a creme sweater, she paired it with a black skirt. It was cold, but the outfit made her feel less sickly, and was cute.

Her tights were thin, the cold breeze was an accountant for that.

Her hands had found their way up to her neck. She tried to stop, but it was a strong habit. It would take time to break. Because most of the time Lavender didn't realize she was doing anything wrong.

The smell of coffee invaded her senses as she opened the bookstore's door.

Her fingers pinched her skin a bit too hard, and her lips parted to intake a bit of air. Mr. Ripley heard the door opening and figured it to be Victoria.

Ripley wondered where Lavender had gone the past few days. He was truly worried for her.

"Victoria! I'm back here." Mr. Ripley's voice shot to the front of the store. Lavender walked to the back of the store slowly. Her heart pounding at an unsafe speed.

"Mr. R-Ripley?" She called out in a whispered tone.

He had not heard her, and continued with his work. Lavender swallowed the lump and the pit in her stomach began to grow.

"Mr. Ripley." She had said louder. Lavender's voice was still a bit raspy. She was better though, she had to be. Mr. Ripley turned around to face the light voice he hadn't heard for too long of a time.

"Lavender! Where have you been? Victoria has been coming here everyday waiting for you. I have been waiting for you." He said quickly.

She immediately felt guilty for not telling anyone. Her eyes glossed over for a second, before she pushed the tears away. Stupid, crybaby. Lavender thought so little of herself at times.

"Forget it, please sit down." Lavender instantly sat down in one of the leather seats in his small office. Her neck was becoming a bright red as she picked.

'Stop that.'

Lavender's hands moved to her lap instantly remembering his stern tone. She waited for Mr. Ripley to continue.

"Where have you been, I have been worried. Are you okay?" Ripley asked. Lavender felt a pang to her heart, she made him and Victoria worry. She didn't mean to.

"I-" Lavender coughed before trying to finish her sentence in embarrassment. "I was sick, but it's okay, I'm okay now!" She exclaimed

Ripley didn't buy it, by the way her voice cracked.

"Okay you can stay, but you are not working. Victoria will probably be here soon. I'll tell her to bring lunch for all of us." He said shooting her a big smile.

—————

"Lavender!" Victoria exclaimed as soon as she entered the store.

Wasting no time, Victoria embraced Lavender in a big friendly hug. Lavender loved hugs, but she didn't want to get her sick.

Jumping back quickly, Victoria was confused to why she didn't want a hug.

"Why-" Victoria started.

"She's sick, that's why she hasn't been here. You better remind her how much we care for her." Ripley explained to his granddaughter. Victoria nodded before handing a sandwich to Lavender.

They talked for a long time, about everything, about the upcoming party, the project, and a lot more.

A small yawn escaped Lavender's chapped lips as she continued to read. Curled up in the blanket Ripley had made sure she had available. Victoria was extremely kind to Lavender, and it made Lavender happy.

Lavender thought about gifts, she didn't have much money, but she wanted to get everyone a gift.

Victoria had told her Vincent's mom was hosting the party, and told her some people that would be there. Lavender sighed as she stood up. Her sneeze was like that of a mouse. Lavender shook her head and pouted her rose colored lips.

————-

More days had passed and all the sneezes were gone. The runny nose was almost gone and she appeared to be back to her healthy self. Healthy, enough.

Night had already fallen, Lavender had gotten almost everyone a gift. Mr. Ripley, she got him a nice feather bookmark made out of metal. She had gotten Victoria a couple of small things, and a pretty necklace. It was cheap, but pretty. That's all that counts.

Right?

Lavender struggled on what to get Professor Vincent's mom. After debating amongst a couple of things, she picked out a pretty mug. It too was cheap, she wish she could buy better things.

Vincent's dad, Lavender had no clue what he would like.

She had found a wooden pen online, it looked very fancy. Her eyes widened at the price. It was over her budget, but Lavender thought he would like it. She would just have to cut back some other things.

It was fine.

It wasn't fine.

There was two days until the party and Lavender still hadn't found a present for Vincent. She was beginning to panic.

What would a smart man like?

Why did she just think that? Probably because he's so smart- she thought.

Lavender had a box for crafts, she pulled out the box and began to look through all of the supplies. Her pretty eyes caught sight of her old bracelet making supplies.

Lavender excitedly grabbed the box and looked through it.

She had found black and white string. Hopefully her skills didn't dissolve over the years. Her fingers began a small pattern.

Soon enough, Lavender was working on the bracelet on top of her bed.

"I really hope he likes this." Lavender whispered to herself as Lacrimosa, by Mozart danced throughout the air surrounding her small room. The smell of vanilla floated as well, together the two brought a sense of sweetness to her little home. Lavender giggled softly and continued working on the small gift for her professor.

————-

Vincent watched the sky change colors, as he would some days.

He held the small ring, it was a sliver crescent shaped ring. The moon spun, the ring was for her to fidget with. It was a small gift, but Vincent hoped it would help her anxiety habits, that tended to cause her harm.

Vincent sat the ring back into the box.

He hoped it was the right size, her fingers were small, he asked Victoria also.

The night had fell and he made his way back to his penthouse. He knocked his black leather shoes off once he entered. Bending he picked them up, and placed them perfectly perpendicular to the pristine, white walls.

Letting out a long breath, he reached for his tie, loosening it a bit.

His sock clad feet moved to his bedroom. Water ran down the tan muscles of his back. He thought to earlier, when Victoria had told him Lavender was sick for a bit of time earlier that same week.

Vincent didn't like the idea of anything doing harm to her. She was already small enough, her becoming sick shouldn't have even been an option.

Shaking his head, he dried his dark hair off.

She would be fine.

Vincent would make sure of it in time.