XXIII

Lavender was helping Ripley put books away, her back and body ached. She hadn't slept in days. Not since her mother had been calling asking for money again. Her mother had told her that she was not family if she was too selfish to send money.

And ever since that call, those words had been burned into Lavender's head. Working restlessly, Lavender wondered about getting another job.

It would help.

Lavender gripped her head as a raging headache seemed to bang against her skull.

"I think you should take a break. Lavender you have been working too hard this past week. You'll make yourself sick." Ripley's voice was serious as he told Lavender to sit down.

Lavender always listened, and she did listen.

To her Mama, she ignored Rippy and continued to put the books away. Mr. Ripley was about to scold Lavender for not taking her lunch break and working the entire day and night. Her face was more pale and she looked as if she was about to pass out.

The door to the store had opened.

Vincent had finished early that night and was heading to talk to his grandfather. He couldn't help, but feel excited to see Lavender.

The presentations were to be presented the upcoming Friday, in two days time, so Vincent had only seen Lavender in class. Vincent's gaze landed on Lavender, her hand was gripping her spinning head.

He didn't like the sight of it. Ripley asked him to get her to sit down. Telling him she wasn't listening.

That didn't sound like Lavender. Vincent had thought it sounded like a different person, she always listened. Vincent watched as she leaned against the bookshelf. Her eyes were closing longer with each blink.

"Lavender. You gotta sit down, here." Vincent's tone was laced with demand, as he pulled a chair towards her.

Lavender shook her head as she bent for more books. A hand stopped her from putting the book back.

A big hand.

A big, warm hand.

"Come on, why are we being stubborn today? Sit down, baby. For me?" Vincent had tried to get her to sit down.

Lavender did want to sit.

But she needed to work, Mama wanted more money.

Suddenly Lavender felt herself being guided into the chair. Her back instantly relaxed, and she let a sigh.

Vincent's hands lingered on her arms until he told her to stay put.

Lavender struggled to keep her eyes open as Vincent was coming back with a blanket. Vincent had laid the blanket down, making sure she was warm. Lavender looked paler, and Vincent was hoping she was not becoming ill.

"You know better than to overwork yourself, for the sake of God, the presentations are in two days. You gotta take it easy." Vincent's blood ran hot, he couldn't stand the thought of her working so hard. Hurting herself.

Lavender's eyes watered and she nodded in understanding.

She hated how the tears were spilling now, Vincent watched as the rosy cheeks he loved so much were wetted by the salt of her sadness.

His warm hand made its way to Lavender's cheeks. Tilting her head up, Lavender's pink lip trembled at the look Vincent was giving him.

"I'm sorry." Lavender choked out as fresh tears coated her cheeks.

Vincent watched how she broke down, his hand fell from Lavender's cheek. His muscular arm pulled the small girl into a warm embrace. Lavender couldn't help it. She tried to keep in her cries, but it was no use.