XXVII

Lavender had woken up later that same night. Though it was actually the early morning hours. Her stomach seemed to be eating itself. Lavender was confused. She ate a good dinner, but was still hungry.

Grabbing the small kitten, who had gotten bigger, she kissed Fluffs good morning. Lavenders feet hit the cold hardwood floor. Taking quiet steps to the door, she held Fluffs in a protective manner. The growling sounded again and Lavender bit her lip. Making her way into the hallway she held her breath.

Lavender didn't know where Vincent was, even though she was scared to ask for something. Maybe she should just go back to bed. The rest of the doors in the hallway were closed. Her heart began to pick up when she didn't know where to go.

It was one o'clock in the morning.

Lavender stopped moving and listened for a second. The apartment was extremely quiet, except for the sound of running water entering her ears.

Vincent had stayed up longer than he would have liked, the trip was coming up in less than a week. The final in a couple days.

Now it was past midnight and Vincent was trying to shower quietly. He thought of the way Lavender had passed out right after dinner. It was good that she had a routine sleep schedule. He would do good to remember and enforce that. Even if his sleep schedule was terrible.

Turning the water off, Vincent had finished showering He wrapped a towel around his waist, tightly.

Drying his hair with another towel, he moved into the guest bedroom, on the bottom floor. Making his way through the hallway, as he turned the corner a bloody murder scream pierced his eardrums.

Lavender had screamed when she almost ran into a very damp looking Vincent. Her heart was beating at an unsafe rate and her breathing increased dramatically.

Vincent had realized it was Lavender and was quick to make sure she was alright.

"Baby, why are you up? It's okay, it's just me." Vincent's smooth voice had calmed Lavender. Her eyes caught sight of his tattoos, she hadn't known he had.

Vincent never displayed his tattoos, his work deemed them inappropriate. Though he always saw them as a work of art. Because that's what they were, art. And every piece of art tells a story, perhaps one of the reasons he loved them so much.

"I was just- I am hungry, but I can go-" Lavender's voice shook a bit as she lowered her head to gaze at her feet. Her face heated up from the embarrassing sound coming from her tummy. Vincent was about to tell her to sit down.

"I'm sorry for disturbing you." The meek cracking of her voice was enough for Vincent to sigh.

"Go sit at the table in that chair over there, and wait for me. Put Fluffs down for a second. I'll be right back, sweet girl." Vincent's voice was stern and Lavender was scrambling to the tall chair.

Swinging her legs, while waiting. Lavender engaged in conversation with Fluffs who was swaying her tail around Lavender's feet.

Vincent had pulled on underwear and sweats before heading downstairs. He didn't want to keep her waiting. The quiet girl sat babbling to his kitten and it was enough for Vincent to get that funny feeling again. The feeling that he would protect the precious angel with his entire being.

"You're such a good girl for telling me your hungry. So pretty, what would you like?" Vincent praised her as he stood in front of the raised countertop.

"Something sweet, maybe?" Lavender stumbled over her words and her answer sounded unsure. Vincent smiled at the girl and nodded as she continuously talked to the small brown kitty.