Chapter 59: Finally, They're Back Home

Mulai dari awal

Patton caught on by what Logan meant quickly enough. He wasn't stupid, of course he knew it was going to take a long time for Virgil to feel safe again. When he and Roman were attacked by hunters and Roman was shot, he was scared to return to the forest. This was even worse.

Still, neither said their thoughts as they continued to walk. "What about everyone else? Are you all okay?" Patton asked

"Luckily no one died, so I believe so," Logan explained. "All major injuries have been healed with potions."

"What about your own?" Mrs. Miller asked.

"My injuries were minor, I didn't need a potion and refused to take one until after the fight was over. Only then, when I was sure no one else needed one, did I heal myself."

"But you're okay?" Patton questioned him. "You can walk fine? You don't see double?"

"I'm alright, love, I promise. There are others we should worry about, the ones that we have saved for instance." Logan looked behind him. Only people from Matela were walking, the creatures that had chosen to travel to town were in carriages, too weak to walk long. Several others had escaped into the forest, away from all humans.

"How many are there?" Mrs. Miller asked.

Her son looked down to the ground, watching where he stepped absentmindedly. "Quite a bit, we found a lot being held prisoner. We're trying to take care of them, but they're all scared and don't trust humans."

"Can't really blame them."

"We're going to need to find a place for all of them. Hopefully we'll have enough food for them all," Patton said. "Did... are all of the hunters dead?"

"Unless any escaped, then yes. Roman destroyed the base as well, it seemed to have taken a lot out of him. He still insists on taking care of Virgil despite this."

"Have they been eating? Has everyone been eating?"

"We've all been doing our best, however Virgil can't stomach much right now." Logan purposely left out Roman refusing to eat.

"Oh... he has iron poisoning, doesn't he."

The alchemist sighed, "Yes, he does. Roman's magic hasn't been able to help him, but Remus has. He was able to heal his burns, though he has some bad scars now. The iron poisoning is taking longer to heal."

Patton took a deep breath as soon as they finally made it back to town. Several people had soon come out from their homes, most being kids. Parents and older siblings that had left to help ran to their younger family, pulling them into hugs.

Mrs. Miller frowned before rushing to where Darrell was. "Follow me, let's take them to my home. I already have a spare room set up for Virgil," she told him.

Darrell purred slightly, doing as she said. It took longer than anyone was comfortable with, several of them wanting to just rest. Some had already left to go take care of their families.

As soon as Darrell stopped, all the other carriages stopped as well. Logan went to open the back door, Patton quickly following. Mrs. Miller didn't follow, instead she helped others unpack and directed people on what to do or where to go. They have been planning this whole time after all.

"We have arrived," Logan said with a bright smile.

Patton tried to peak in, barely able to see the inside since he couldn't stand. He saw Cynthia, Elliot, and Griffin first, then he looked around desperately for his brother. Further back in the carriage, he saw Roman sitting next to someone who was laying down on the ground.

"Virgil!" he called, trying to stand up as Logan climbed into the carriage. He held onto the carriage to help him, trying to get a better view.

Roman gave him a sad smile before looking down at the sleeping fairy. "Love, wake up, we're home," he cooed, softly shaking Virgil's shoulder. He groaned and tried to curl up, but the ache from moving his muscles woke him up. His eyes blinked open and he looked up at Roman. "There we go. We're home now, dear."

"H-home?" Virgil asked softly.

"Yup, well, we're in town at least. I'm going to lift you up and carry you into the Miller's home, is that okay?"

The fairy nodded, closing his eyes again. He bit back another groan when Roman slid an arm under his back and legs, slowly lifting him up.

Logan helped Elliot and Cynthia off of the carriage, Griffin jumping down after them without help. Patton only gave them a glance but refused to let his eyes leave Virgil any longer, his legs starting to shake from the effort of standing too long.

"Patton, he'll be okay, you need to sit," Logan told him.

But he shook his head, feeling tears well up in his eyes when he saw the bandages wrapped around Virgil's wings and the burn scars around his arms. His voice was quiet when he asked, "What did they do to him?"