Chapter 3.6--Natasha pt 2

I woke up to the sun on my face and the warmth of Steve radiating next to me. Steve was still asleep, which was fascinating since he usually woke up early to go for a run. I poked my arm out from under the covers and reached for my phone. Three texts from Tony, one from Sam, and two missed calls from Pepper. I moved myself up to a sitting position, wincing slightly. My foot throbbed from the stiffness of the night.

In the other bed, Emery was still fast asleep.

"Steve," I whispered. I watched his sleeping form as his chest rose and fell with each breath. I brushed his cheek with my hand, which got his attention.

"Mm, are you ok?" Steve asked. He squinted in the light of the room. "Is your ankle ok?"

"Yeah, it's just a little stiff." I held up my phone. "Tony was asking for us."

Steve sat up and rubbed at his face. "How long ago was that?"

I checked my phone. "20 minutes. I'm surprised the texts didn't wake me."

"We should go downstairs then." He looked over to the other bed. "Emery is still sleeping?"

I nodded, getting up and putting on my robe. "She's been pulling all-nighters watching surveillance footage on the Alexei case."

Steve got out of bed. "Should I meet you downstairs? I want to put on some real clothes."

"Sure. But I think you look sexy like this." I kissed him as we walked out to the hallway.

We headed our separate ways, me going to the elevator and Steve taking the stairs. Once downstairs, I grabbed some ice for my ankle and went to the main room to sit.

"Morning, everyone," I said as I sat down.

"Were you still sleeping?" Tony asked, forgoing any formalities.

"Yeah. I guess I forgot to set an alarm." My eyes flickered to Pepper and Sam who were sitting across from me. "I had a long night."

"Well, now that you're here, we should talk about the updates I was incessantly texting you about. Our sources might have a location on Alexei," Tony said.

"What?! Why didn't you wake me? You know how important this case is to me, Tony," I stood up and started pacing.

"I tried, hence the texts," Tony said, making it seem like it was my fault.

"Well, when it's something urgent like that, you can wake me. How much do we know?"

"We should really wait for Emery and if you still want Steve on this case, we should wait for him too," Tony said. "Just so we don't have to repeat everything."

I nodded and walked to the kitchen to make some coffee. It was going to be a long morning.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Not very long after, I headed outside to sit by the pool. I needed the fresh air after being cooped up inside for so long. Sam had only just cleared me to be able to swim again.

"Hey," Steve said behind me, jolting me out of my head cloud.

"Hi. Did Tony tell you we might have a location on Alexei?" I asked.

Steve nodded. "I wanted to see how you were doing."

I shrugged. "There's nothing I can control with this, so I'm doing as well as I can be. But honestly, I wish Tony would've just told me instead of tiptoeing around it. Alexei is my past, I'm the one who's gonna have to face him eventually."

"Nat—"

"I know what you're gonna say, Steve." I turned to him. "I know you're here and the team is here and you want to help. But sometimes these missions end up being one-on-one. I'm gonna have to face Alexei alone."