Chapter 8.2--Steve

Fury finally caught up to us after Katya was taken to the medical wing.

"Nick, where have you been?" Natasha asked, crossing her arms over her chest. Then, remembering her wound, she uncrossed them and put a hand on her hip.

"I was indisposed temporarily." He held an ice pack to the back of his head. "Someone clocked me good. Agent Hill has been with me in the medical wing."

"Katya is..." I trailed off, not even sure where to go with that statement. "Um, they just took her away. She was hurt pretty bad. But she gave Nat a key and some information that may help us with the case."

Fury nodded. "Let's talk in my office. I believe Agent Coulson has some information she'd like to share with the group."

Emery nodded. "Lead the way, sir."

Once in Fury's office, we took seats across from his desk.

"Do you know what caused the blackout?" I asked, crossing one of my legs into a '4' position and leaning back in my chair.

"We're looking into it. Several of our agents were knocked unconscious, so we're trying to find someone who can give us more information. No luck as of yet, but I have Agent Hill and a few others combing this place from top to bottom." He removed the ice pack from his head. "Technically we are in lockdown, but I'll give you clearance to get back to the compound. Now, Agent Coulson—you had something to share?"

Emery stood up and started pacing. "I should've told you this sooner." Her eyes flickered to Natasha. "When we were at Alexei's apartment, I think I was under Kristina's control."

"What do you mean?" Natasha chewed on her bottom lip. She seemed less surprised than I expected.

"I don't know how—I just remember seeing a pair of mesmerizing eyes, then...nothing until Bucky performed CPR."

"Em, why didn't you say anything sooner?" Nat asked. She sounded more upset than angry.

"I didn't say anything because I didn't know what connection—if any—it had to Kristina. Until Bucky and I were going through your memory file that Shuri took after the diner incident," Emery told her.

Nat placed a hand on her friend's shoulder and they shared a moment in the silence. "You know you can trust me with anything."

Emery nodded. "I know." She looked up at Fury. "I'm sorry about Katya. She was my responsibility and I lost track of her in the blackout—"

Fury put up a hand to stop her. "Not your fault. We're going to do everything we can to keep Miss Sanderson alive." He consulted the files on his desk. "What intel was she able to give you, Agent Romanoff?"

Nat held up the key. "She said something about the Arrow Casino in Budapest. Alexei might have a warehouse there or something. And this key—I'm not sure if it's to her apartment or what. But we'll figure it out."

"How long do you think you'll need in Budapest?" Fury asked, addressing the full group. We all tried to answer at the same time:

"A week."

"Ten days."

"A month."

"I'm not sure."

Fury chuckled. "How about I let you go home and get some rest first. Call me when you've figured it out, and I'll clear you to go."

We all agreed on that as our best course of action.

*    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *