Chapter 14.2--Steve

Earlier that day.

"Tony, hey," I called out as I ran outside after him once the girls had left.

"What's up, Capsicle?" he asked.

"I wanted to talk to you about the wedding."

"Uh oh. Having second thoughts already? You know, Nat would have a lot of offers if you back out now."

"What?" I shook my head. "No, Tony, I'm not having second thoughts. I wanted to talk to you about an idea I had for the venue."

"Oh. What were you thinking about?"

I took out a picture from my back pocket and handed it to him.

"The lakehouse, great choice," Tony said. "What fueled that decision?"

I smiled. "Nat and I had a really great time when we were there and I knew she would enjoy it. Even though we were there for only three days, we made a lot of memories. And I think getting married in the same place will bring us full circle."

"I hate to say it, but that's really romantic. And if you tell anyone I said that, I will deny it forever," Tony said.

I laughed. "My lips are sealed. So, you'll help?"

"Of course. Just tell me when you want to go out to the lakehouse and scope things out?"

"Not sure. Tomorrow, maybe?"

"I should be free then. Meet me downstairs tomorrow morning, and we'll head out early. I figure you don't want Natasha to know?"

"Right. And thanks." I glanced at my watch. "I need to get a quick workout in and then I have to go meet Natasha."

Tony saluted me. "Roger that."

* * * * * * * * * * * *

I caught up with Nat right outside of the cake tasting place.

"Hi," I said, smiling and leaning down to kiss her.

"Hey." She kissed me back. "How was your morning?"

I shrugged. "Eh. Same old routine. Ready for cake?"

"I'm always ready for cake," she replied.

I entwined our fingers together and we went inside the cake shop. The bell over the door chimed lightly, and a woman stepped out from behind the counter.

"Welcome! How may I help you today?" she greeted us.

"We have an appointment for Romanogers," I said.

Natasha stifled a laugh.

The woman filled through her appointment book. "Ah, yes. I see it here. I'm Jessica, and I'll be working with you today." She led us to a table where there was an assortment of cakes and explained the process. "We'll start with the first cake and then go down the line. I'll make a note of which ones you like and if you have trouble deciding on a type of cake, you can set up a second appointment for the final contenders. But before we dive in, who all is here?"

"I'm the bride, he's the groom," Nat said, pointing to herself then to me. "And these are my bridesmaids."

"We're here for moral support. And cake," Emery piped up.

Jessica smiled. "Well, the more the merrier."

We all sat down at the table and started the tasting. After a while, we decided that the chocolate ones were our favorites. And then we had one that changed my life.

"Oh my god," I moaned happily as the chocolate melted on my tongue. "This is amazing."

"Great choice. It's one of our most popular choices. Chocolate with a raspberry and mousse filling. And we can frost the outside however you want," Jessica explained.