Chapter 2.3--Steve

I watched Natasha arguing with Tony from a distance. This was all my fault. If I hadn't been all flirty, Nat wouldn't have had to deal with punishment from Tony for something that I did. I was the one who deserved to be punished, not Natasha.

"Hey, man. What's going on?" Sam asked. He opened the refrigerator and took out the lemonade.

"Tony is assigning me to Nat's current case," I said.

"Isn't that a good thing?"

I gave him a look. "As her date."

"Oh. You think he knows something?"

I shrugged. "I don't know. He decided this after following us to Nat's car at the diner. We were...kinda flirting."

"In public?"

I rolled my eyes. "Yes, in public. We should've been more careful, but you'd think we would be able to let our guard down away from the compound."

"Well, maybe he doesn't know anything."

"Maybe. But he likely suspects something. It's Tony."

Sam shrugged and sipped at his lemonade. "You never know, man. Maybe he didn't actually see anything. Maybe he's bluffing. Or maybe he thinks you and Nat make a great team."

I watched as Natasha came back toward us without Tony. She glanced briefly at me, mumbling something about working out before dinner, and left to go change. That's when Tony came back into the room.

"Tony, can you tell me what that was all about?" I asked.

"Romanoff's undercover assignment. How do you feel about bars?"

"Well, considering I can't get drunk, I'm not particularly fond of them. Although, we drink all the time here, so I guess there isn't much of a difference."

Tony laughed. "Don't worry. This case doesn't require you to actually get drunk. Which is why you're the perfect addition. You see, Nat has talked you up to Emery over the course of the investigation, but doesn't know all that much about you. Now's your chance to be introduced as the boyfriend—for the purpose of the case only."

"So, you're not mad about what happened?" I asked.

Tony laughed. "Of course not. As far as I'm concerned, your chemistry with Nat is what we need to finally get a break in this case."

"So all you want us to do is pretend we're a couple?"

Tony nodded. "Yup. And after that, you can go back to the way things were." He clapped me on the shoulder and strode away.

The way things were, yeah right, I thought to myself.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

After the confrontation with Tony, I decided I needed some time to think and changed for a swim. Luckily, there was no one else outside at the pool, so I was able to swim and think in peace. Once I'd done enough laps to beat the longest race in the olympics without even getting tired, I climbed out of the pool and wrapped a towel around my waist.

"Enjoy your swim?" Pepper asked from one of the lounge chairs.

I smiled. "As always. Have you seen Natasha?"

Pepper gestured inside. "Last time I saw her she was in the training room. And she was asking about you, too. You still have time to see her before dinner." She winked.

"Thanks, Pepper." I hurried back inside to change. Once I'd put on fresh clothes, I walked down to the training room. I figured I'd get a quick workout in before dinner and I could talk to Natasha at the same time.