Three Years Ago | EDITED

Natasha

Natasha

"It looks like the information on the flashdrive originated from...New Jersey." I glanced at Steve. "Ready for a road trip?"

Steve nodded. "If it'll mean bringing down Hydra. Let's go."

We started through the crowded mall, keeping our eyes and ears open for any of the agents on our tail. As Steve and I rode the escalator down to leave, two agents rode the 'up' escalator, scanning their surroundings for us. I knew we had to do something to distract attention from us.

Something to guarantee that we kept our cover and that would make our tail uncomfortable, maybe uncomfortable enough to look away.

I whipped around to face Steve. "Kiss me."

His eyes grew wide. "What?! Natasha, are you out of your mind?"

"Public displays of affection make people uncomfortable," I said. "Just do it."

"But—"

Rolling my eyes—our window of opportunity was closing—I pulled him toward me, our lips meeting for a few seconds. Steve fumbled to wrap one hand awkwardly around my waist, and the other held the rail of the escalator. His lips froze against mine, unsure of how to respond. He tasted like mint and smelled like fresh aftershave.

If our lives weren't on the line, it's possible I would've jumped on him right there.

But after a second, even he relaxed into the kiss.

We broke apart a few seconds later, a look of shock on Steve's face.

I tried not to smirk. "You still uncomfortable now?"

Steve cleared his throat as we exited the escalator. "Not exactly how I'd describe it."

We made our way out to a car and Steve took the lead as driver to get us to New Jersey.

My lips still tingled from the impromptu kiss. "I have a question."

"That's dangerous. What is it?" he asked.

I laughed. "Well, first I want you to know that I respect you. As a person, as a teammate." I glanced at him. "So I totally understand if you don't want to answer what I'm about to ask. But you're kinda answering either way if you don't, you know?"

Steve shot me a look. "Cut to the chase, Romanoff."

"Ok, ok. So, that kiss...was that your first time since, um, well, since before the ice?"

Steve scoffed. "Yikes, it was really that bad?"

"No, that's not what I'm saying." I popped my gum.

"Then what are you saying?" He glanced over at me.

"I'm just...look, everyone needs practice—" I waved my hands through the air and risked a glance in his direction. Did he even realize how good of a kisser he was? Every first kiss with someone was going to be awkward.