Chapter 13.6--Steve

I spotted Natasha walk into the banquet hall with Emery and Mandy on either side of her. She looked absolutely stunning. Her hair, now a blend of red and blonde, was curled tightly over her shoulders.

I gave her a wave, and after saying something to the girls, she walked over to me.

"Happy engagement party," I greeted her, placing a kiss on her lips.

"I gotta say, this turned out a lot better than how I was expecting," she said.

I laughed. "Well, you know Tony. He knows not to go against your orders. Can I get you a drink?"

She nodded. "Vodka cranberry on the rocks, please."

I repeated it to the bartender—an agent, of course, because we didn't want anyone interfering with the party—and he handed me the glass a minute later.

She sipped at it. "Mm, wow. These bartenders may be agents, but they make a mean vodka cranberry.

I laughed. "I'm glad you like it."

She put out her arm. "Dance with me?"

"I, uh...we...are you sure?" I wasn't sure why I was suddenly stuttering.

"Steve, c'mon! It's our engagement party! And plus, we dance all the time at the compound."

"Yeah, but that's alone in our bedroom. With the door closed. And if I remember correctly, neither of us is usually wearing much clothing." The corners of my mouth twitched into a smile as I said that last bit.

Natasha smirked. "Close your eyes."

"Wha—"

"Do it, Rogers."

I closed my eyes.

"Now tune out the music. Pretend we're back at the compound, in our room, the door locked. You're in a pair of those flannel pants, and I'm wearing your t-shirt. And nothing else.

I smiled at that and opened my eyes.

"Better?" she asked.

I nodded. "Much." I took her hand and led her out to the dance floor.

The music changed to a slow song. Natasha wrapped her arms around my neck and I put mine on her hips.

"And now, we'll have the spotlight on our guests of honor—the lovely fan favorite couple—Natasha Romanoff and Steve Rogers!" Tony's voice boomed over a microphone. A spotlight hit us.

I laughed. "Did you know Tony had planned this?"

Natasha shook her head and smiled. "I had no idea. But he certainly did something right to keep the party lively without going overboard.

I spun her out and back in, holding her body close to mine and gazing into her eyes. "Now this is something we don't do that often at home."

Natasha smirked. "Duly noted."

A minute later, the song ended, and the whole room erupted into applause.

"I hope everyone enjoyed the first of what I'm calling the official dance between our favorite couple. And now for the fondue!" Tony said.

After we had mingled for a while, Nat and I ran into someone we didn't expect to see.

"Dr. Simmons!" Natasha called, waving her over.

"Oh please, call me Jemma," she said, giving Natasha and me each a hug in turn. "How are you both doing?"

I put an arm around Natasha's waist. "We're great."