Chapter 8.5--Natasha

"Emery, that's fantastic!" I said. We were laying on my bed in the hotel room, and we'd kicked the guys out to go get food while we talked.

Emery blushed. "Thanks, Nat."

"So you and Wanda...I think Pepper owes me ten bucks," I said.

Emery laughed and hit me with a pillow. "You knew?"

"I thought maybe something was going on. But just out of curiosity—when you and Bucky stumbled into our room that one night that I was supposed to be having a movie night with Steve...you know, before Bucky found out about us...did something happen with the two of you?"

Emery tucked her hair behind her ears. "Full disclosure? We ended up getting pretty hot and heavy. But nothing too serious happened. And we've been out a few times, but I don't think he felt it was anything more than just...friendship."

"Well, I certainly don't get hot and heavy with my friends unless I plan on having a relationship with them."

"Yeah, like what happened with you and Steve," Emery said, laughing. "Pepper told me about the Truth or Dare incident."

I covered my face with my hands. "Oh god no."

"Anyway, I broke it off with him before I got hurt. And that sort of led to Wanda and I getting together. It was mutual—she's not a rebound or anything like that."

I nodded. "That's good to hear. But given all of that, are you sure you're ok rooming with Bucky? I mean, we can always switch and get some rollaway beds."

Emery shook her head. "Thanks, Nat. I appreciate it. But, I'm used to dealing with exes on missions. Amelia, for instance. She was more than just a classmate. Things just didn't work out in our favor. I've dated other guys too, but..." she sighed. "I've never felt about anyone the way I thought I did about Bucky."

"You know, I think he probably does have feelings for you too. But you know how guys can be about that sort of thing," I said.

Emery nodded. "Doesn't know what he's lost until it's gone."

"Exactly. But, hey—if you and Wanda have a good thing going, don't let anything stop you. Bucky had his chance."

"Yeah." Emery sat up. "If it's meant to be, maybe we'll find our way back together."

"You do what's right for you, Em. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise."

She hugged me. "You're a great friend, Nat."

The boys arrived back at our room, food in hand.

"Sustenance!" Emery cheered.

Bucky laughed. "What have you two been talking about while we were gone?"

Emery and I glanced at each other. "You."

"Hopefully good things," Bucky said. He handed each of us a takeout container and we made ourselves comfortable.

"Well, for the most part. Although I might have to give my 'if you hurt her, I'll kill you' speech," I told him.

He turned to Emery. "You told her?"

Emery shrugged, taking a bite of her entree. "She's my best friend. I tell her everything."

"Cat's out of the bag, as they say," I said. "Or, what was it that Fury said? The flerkin is out of the bag? What even is a flerkin?"

Steve shrugged. "Don't look at me, I never understand Fury's old time references."

Emery snorted. "It's not an old time reference. There was an agent—Carol Danvers—she was a test pilot before she got these crazy superpowers yaddah yaddah yaddah—" she waved her hand in the air. "She had this cat. Although, it wasn't really a cat. It was a flerkin which is a creature that takes on the form of a cat but can consume things. It's also how Fury lost his eye."