Chapter 2--Steve | EDITED

My head spun when I woke up the next morning. All I could think about was last night at the pool. Had Natasha been flirting? With me, of all people?

We'd grown closer over the years despite her motive to keep her work and personal life separate. We had a connection that the other team members didn't seem to share. I kinda liked that. My heart fluttered just thinking about her. And I hadn't felt this way about anyone since Peggy.

I shook my head as I got up to get dressed, dismissing the thought. Natasha and I had been nothing more than friends for the past three years. Why would anything change now?

But there was just something about her that intrigued me—maybe I wanted more. She was beautiful, smart, sassy—everything I loved. But the chance that she could ever feel the same way about me? Slim to none.

True to my word about another race, I quickly scribbled out a note and took the stairs two at a time to deliver it under Natasha's door before returning to my room.

Sam dropped by a few minutes later. "Heading down, you coming?" Since our rooms were next to each other, we usually rode the elevator together in the mornings.

I nodded. "Yeah, just give me a sec." I ran my fingers through my hair before joining Sam at the elevator.

"So where'd you go last night?" Sam asked once the doors closed and we were safe in the confines of the metal box.

"To clear my head," I replied. It wasn't a lie, but it wasn't exactly the truth. I just wasn't ready to tell Sam how I felt about Natasha. Not yet. Since there wasn't anything to tell him. Probably.

"That's it?" Sam asked. He didn't sound convinced.

I crossed my arms over my chest. "What are you implying, Sam?"

"I heard two voices outside last night," Sam said.

The elevator doors opened onto the main floor and we stepped out. It looked like most of the group was already gathered on the couches.

"Look, it's not a big deal," I told him.

He glanced at me. "Was it about Natasha?"

"How di–"

"Oh, come on, Steve. I've seen how you look at her. It's the same way you looked at her in DC three years ago." Sam crossed his arms over his chest. "Plus, I've learned a thing or two about you over the years and subtlety is not exactly a quality you possess."

I swallowed. "That was different. We were just...you know, let's just talk later."

He nodded and left me as I scanned the room for Natasha. There was no sign of her red hair. Since her newest assignment, she'd dyed it a darker color but red all the same.

Unfortunately, Tony caught my wandering gaze.

"You ok there, Cap?" Tony asked. "Do you want some coffee?"

"Coffee would be great," I said, glad that was all he was asking about.

Tony pointed to the kitchen and I left the group. Once in the kitchen, I grabbed a mug from the cabinet and turned to the coffee pot...which had been replaced by a completely different machine thing.

I stared at it confused. What the...

"Need a hand?" Natasha asked from somewhere behind me. I turned. She stood leaning against the doorframe with her arms crossed over her chest and a smirk on her face. Her tousled, still wet hair as if she'd just showered, hung loosely on her shoulders.

"Yeah, thanks. I didn't realize Tony had replaced the normal coffee pot."

Natasha laughed. She took my mug and pressed a few buttons on the machine to get it started.