Chapter 2.2--Natasha

I passed Sam on my way out of Steve's room and tried to hide my face the best I could under my hair. I hoped Steve meant what he said about not telling Sam. Downstairs, I ran into Tony, Clint, and Pepper, who were already sitting on the sofas drinking coffee.

"Morning," I greeted them.

"Hey, Nat." Clint raised his coffee in my direction.

"Do you have the report for me?" Tony asked. I couldn't read his face, but something told me he didn't want to exchange pleasantries.

"Can I get coffee first before we discuss my assignment?" I stood with my hands on my hips.

Tony smirked. "I thought the mission always came first?"

"Not without coffee," I tossed back. I walked into the kitchen and started the coffee machine.

A few seconds later I heard footsteps behind me.

"Ok, Pepper. Spit it out," I said. I turned and saw Pepper leaning against the wall.

Pepper sighed and opened a panel in the wall. She pressed a few buttons before walking over to me. "The things we talk about in the next few minutes will never leave this room, ok? I promise."

I nodded.

"What's up with you and Steve?" she asked.

I groaned and put my head in my hands. I forgot I'd told her about meeting with Steve. "Honestly, Pep, nothing. At least, nothing serious."

Pepper raised her eyebrows. "Yet."

"Pepper!" I laughed. "Look, Steve and I are just friends." I paused. Friends who have now kissed twice in a matter of 24 hours and fell asleep together. "And last night was just time for us to spend alone together to figure things out."

"So what did you figure out?" Pepper asked.

I sipped my coffee. Well, I guess if Pepper is on to me, she might as well know how I feel. Maybe she could help me. "I figured out that I like him, but given the team rules, we can't make any sort of relationship public."

"You really like him?"

I nodded. "Yeah." And for the first time, it actually felt good to say it out loud.

"Your secret is safe with me, Nat. I won't tell Tony. Or anyone else."

"Thanks, Pepper. I really appreciate this."

Pepper nodded. "Of course. I do have one condition, though."

I groaned. "What is it?"

Pepper smiled. "If and when something more serious happens with you and Steve, I want to know. You were there for me when I first fell for Tony, so I want to be there for you during your relationship."

"Deal. And thanks again." We shook on it and headed back out to the sofas.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

After breakfast, I went upstairs to get my assignment report and change for work at the diner. I wasn't alone for long.

"You know, if we don't want people to talk, you can't follow me up to my bedroom," I said before turning around. 

Steve stood in the doorway. "Maybe you should give me a reason to leave. Wait, no that was too cheesy."

I laughed as I walked over to him, closing the door. "What's up?"

"I wanted to see you before you went to the diner. And to thank you for hanging out with me last night. I had a lot of fun."

I sat down on the bed and gestured for him to do the same. "I had fun, too."