Chapter 16.1--Natasha

A/N: remember, anything in bold is spoken in Russian!

---

Two weeks later, the day of the wedding

"My life is over." I was having trouble breathing. And rationalizing.

"Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration. Take a breath. And stop fussing."

"Yelena, I'm getting married today." I turned around and faced her.

"Yes, I know. Now shut up and let me finish your makeup." She spun my chair back so that I was facing the mirror again."

I smirked. "You're enjoying this, aren't you?"

Yelena's lips twitched into a smile. "Not even a little."

Emery ran into the room. "Ten minutes, people!"

"How come she's more bridezilla than you?" Yelena asked.

I laughed. "Because she's been planning my wedding since the day Steve walked into the diner."

Yelena wrinkled her nose. "Diner?"

"One of my covers." I waved it off.

"Anyway, you almost ready?" Emery asked despite the relevance it had to our current situation.

I nodded. "Yes, I think I am."

"And five minutes ago you thought your life was over," Yelena teased. She leaned down. "But it's only just the beginning."

Just then, someone knocked on the door to the room.

"Identify!" Emery called out.

"Clint."

"Role?"

I rolled my eyes. "Em, just let him in."

"Nope, not until I get an answer."

Clint sighed on the other side of the door. "Maid of honor."

Satisfied, Emery opened the door just wide enough that Clint could slip inside. She didn't want anyone else—namely Steve—to see me before the wedding.

Clint's gaze landed on me. "Nat...Wow."

"I clean up nice, huh?" I twirled, the skirt of my gown spinning with me.

"Incredibly." He hugged me. "So, how are you feeling? Did I succeed in my job of making sure you get out there to marry Steve?"

I paused. "I'm feeling more nervous than I was anticipating. And a little...weird."

Yelena perked up at this. "Weird? Weird how?"

"Just...nerves probably." I avoided her gaze. I didn't need her thinking I was bailing on our plan.

Emery squeezed my hand. "You're gonna be great, Nat." She checked her watch. "Ok, five minutes."

I took a deep breath, watching as Emery instructed Lila where to stand for her role as flower girl.