Chapter 5.5--Steve

I woke up the next morning and reached for my phone to text Nat about joining me on a run. When she didn't answer—to be expected since she was rarely up at this hour unless she had a reason—my heart sank a little. Sure, it was a long shot, but I knew she was usually up for a run this early when it was with me. Still, I decided to go for a run solo to clear my head. 

Heading out the door of the compound, I noticed Emery's keys missing from the set of hooks Tony had installed by the garage for each of us.

It doesn't mean Nat is with her, I convinced myself. Emery has her own apartment after all.

I shook my head to clear it and started off at a slow jog. I figured I'd pace myself today. An hour later, Sam called me. I stopped at a bench and sat down.

"Hey, Sam, what's up?" I asked.

"Nat isn't here," he said. "There doesn't seem to be any movement from her room."

"I know she was out with Emery last night, so I'm not too worried. But thanks for checking in."

"Of course." He paused. "How far out are you? I might go for a run and catch up with you."

I looked around. "Uh, actually I was just about to start my run back. I needed to clear my head."

"No worries, Cap. I'll see you back at the compound."

I hung up then checked my messages. Still nothing from Nat. I hoped she was just sleeping and that Emery had gone for a drive. I tried not to worry, but with a target on my girlfriend's back from her ex-fiance and a mysterious new person out there running around manipulating Nat's face, it proved to be quite difficult.

Just as I returned to the compound, my phone pinged with a text from Nat: can't talk, call soon xo

I sent her a quick text back and went inside where I was immediately met by Wanda.

"Steve, we need you to settle a debate for us," she said.

"Debates aren't really my area of expertise, but I'll do my best," I replied.

I followed her out to the pool where the rest of the team was. Sam and Bucky were arguing about something—no surprise there.

"I'm just saying...a sorcerer is just a wizard without a hat," Sam was saying.

"Ok, so what about Gandalf?" Bucky challenged.

"How do you know about Gandalf?"

Bucky shrugged then met my gaze and smiled. "We grew up on The Hobbit."

Sam turned around and saw me. "Steve, back me up here."

"Sorry, Sam. I'm with Bucky on this one," I said, laughing. "Are you two behaving?"

"Man, I'm trying," Sam said as Bucky laughed.

After it seemed like the argument between my friends was settled, Pepper approached me. We hadn't talked much recently, but I knew she had been giving Nat a hard time about the kiss with Bucky.

"How're you doing, Steve?" she asked.

"I'm good. Nat and I...we're good. I trust her," I replied.

"I'm glad to hear it," Pepper said, "but you have a right to be upset."

I shook my head. "I know, but...this whole situation...she shouldn't have kissed him, but she didn't keep it a secret from me, which I respect. And honestly...I'm more worried about Bucky having feelings for her. But I can't really blame him if he did—unless he tried to make a move."