Chapter 6.5--Natasha

The next morning, to my dismay, it was still raining. Steve woke me up with breakfast in bed: poached eggs and sausages with peanut butter toast and, of course, coffee.

"Mm, I could get used to this," I said, smiling.

"I wish we could do this at the lake house, but the roads are closed because of the rain. Apparently, there's some big storm coming up from the coast," Steve told me as we ate.

"When will it be clear?" I asked.

Steve reached out to brush the hair out of my face. I had fallen asleep with it wet, so it was now extra curly. "A few days. I hate to delay our trip, but..."

I nodded my understanding. "I get it. We'll just have to figure out a way to keep busy in the meantime."

Steve smirked. "What did you have in mind?"

I bit my lip. "I actually have to go to work today."

"But it's raining," Steve complained. "Can't you call in sick?"

I shook my head. "Not today. But I promise we can do something when I come home later, ok? Whatever you want."

Steve perked up at that, and we continued our breakfast. Once we were done, Steve went to take the tray down to the kitchen. I took my diner outfit to the bathroom to change. Just as I came out of the bathroom, my phone buzzed.

I switched the phone to speaker mode so I could throw on a little makeup before heading downstairs. "Yeah, sure. That'd be great. Did you come back to the room at all last night?"

"I sort of fell asleep," she said, "with Bucky."

"Oh?"

"It's not what you think."

"Oh." I frowned at my phone. "Is everything ok with you two?"

"Yeah, everything is great. I'll explain later."

"Are you downstairs?" I turned off the light at my vanity and stood up.

"Yeah."

"I'll be down in five," I said. I hung up and grabbed my bag from the back of my closet door. I met Emery downstairs on the main level where most of the rest of the team was already gathered.

"What's going on?" I asked Emery.

"Tony called a brief team meeting," she told me.

I took a seat between her and Steve on the couch.

"So, I've been thinking that we should celebrate our newest members with a party," Tony said, finally addressing the group.

"When?" I asked.

"Saturday," he replied.

That meant I only had a week to find a dress.

"Tony, that soon? We have to get a venue. And call the caterers. And arrange valet par—" Pepper started to say, making a list of everything that would have to be done before the party.

"I've already taken care of that. This has actually been in the works for a while—I'd wanted it to be a surprise."

I looked around. Everyone seemed to be in agreement about the party.

"A party should be fun," Steve said to me after Tony had adjourned the meeting. "We can make our debut as a couple."

"Well, you're gonna have to ask me if you want me to be your date," I teased.

"Duly noted." Steve laughed and gave me a quick kiss before letting me go to work.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *