Chapter 7.6--Steve/Natasha

Two days later

Steve

After our vacation was over, Natasha and I reluctantly packed up the car and drove back to the compound to get resettled in. We returned in the evening, just in time for dinner, since we'd wanted to soak up as much alone time together as possible.

The team was gathered in front of the tv in the main area of the compound when we arrived back. Pizza boxes sat on the kitchen counter. Nat and I each grabbed a slice before interlocking our fingers and joining the group.

"Hey everyone," Nat said.

Our friends turned at the sound of her voice, making a racket as they ran over to greet us.

"How was the trip?" Pepper asked,

Nat and I smiled at each other.

"Amazing." I put my arm around her shoulders. "Pep, I can't thank you and Tony enough for the lake house."

"It's our pleasure," Tony said, clapping me on the shoulder. "We're glad you had fun."

Pepper, Wanda, and Emery took that moment to steal Natasha away, giggling about needing to talk to her about something.

"See you later," she said, giving me a quick kiss before following her friends.

"What do you think that's all about?" I asked Bucky and Sam. We all headed back to the sofas.

Sam laughed and Bucky just handed me a beer.

"Probably discussing you," Sam said.

I raised my eyebrows. "Hopefully good things." I sipped my beer before turning to Bucky. "Weren't you and Emery supposed to go to Manhattan?"

"Yeah, about that..." Bucky's eyes flickered around the room. "It was a false alarm. Fury's team checked it out and it turns out Alexei wasn't there. Not sure if we were too late or if he was never really in New York.

I closed my eyes and sighed. "So back to square one."

"Pretty much." He knocked his knee against mine. "So, Emery told me that she told Nat about Katya."

I nodded. "After the memory screening, Nat told me too—when you and Shuri had left us alone to talk. We need to have a meeting in the morning. And I think what you told me about Emery and the apartment needs to come up. I know she didn't want Nat to know, but I think it's time."

"I'll talk to her. And Tony said that Thor gave Nat a book?"

"Yeah. She has it in her room, so we'll consult it tomorrow when we talk to the team. Thor has offered his services, but I think unless we get footage of Kristina using whatever it is she's using, it won't be much help."

Bucky stood up. "Alright, well we will talk to the girls in the morning. And I'm gonna turn in for the night. See you tomorrow."

"Night, Buck," I said.

I sat on the sofas for a while longer before calling it a night and heading up to my room to sleep.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

The next morning, I woke up to my phone buzzing and someone knocking on my door. I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and looked around the room. It was 6:30am and Bucky wasn't here.

The knocking at my door became more insistent and more like pounding.

"It's open!" I called out, reaching for my phone. I had two texts from Nick Fury.

Fury: Headquarters now.

We have a situation

"Ahem."