46.

Mazzey keeps guard on the doors and her eyes on me and Gigi like a hawk to make sure she doesn't lose sight of us. Victors assignment to her: keep me and Gigi calm while we wait on any news about Eddie and Buck.

They were at their last fire that was called in. After they finished putting it out, Bobby and his team did their final sweep and were getting ready to pack up everything until another explosion went off. Eddie and Buck were too close and felt the impact of it, ending up a couple of feet away from where they were standing before it all happened. Thankfully their gear did it's job at protecting them and they didn't suffer any extreme severe injuries. That's all we know right now.

I rub my temples as I try to clear my head. I hate being in this situation. Being in a waiting room with no answers. I keep replaying the moment they rushed through those doors, the way my heart fell when I saw him on that gurney. The fear that this might be it. This might be the one where he doesn't come back to me, ever.

I look over to Gigi who is doing no better than I am. Her leg continues moving up and down up and down as she stares off into nothing.

Hen takes up the seat to my left. I give her a small nod.

"They're going to be just fine" she reassures me.
"Those boys are tough and they're in good hands" Chimney chimes in, looking to me then Gigi. Maddie sits to his right, holding his arm tight. Our eyes meet momentarily. Her smile brings me comfort. She knows her brother will be alright.

Silence falls over us once again as we wait to hear anything.

Moments later Dr. Harrison and Victor are walking into the waiting room. Gigi and I immediately stand up from our chairs.

"So?" I ask, looking directly at Victor.

"So, everything went smoothly. No complications. They're in recovery right now and should be waking up soon" Victor clears his throat "you're welcome to see them now, if you guys would like."

Everyone murmurs their yeses and of courses. Before taking a step Gigi looks over to Bobby, hesitating. He quickly catches it and gives her a reassuring nod.

"Come on kid" he says, holding out an extended arm for her. "Let's go see him."

"Go, I'll see you in a bit" I say to her while giving her a small squeeze on her shoulder.

Gigi looks over to me and softly places her hand over mine for a quick second before following behind Bobby, Athena, and Hen.

Dr. Harrison gives Victor a good tap on his back. "Good work today Dr. Russell."

"Thank you but I couldn't done it without your help Dr. Harrison."

Dr. Harrison and Victor exchange a few words before Dr. Harrison retires to his office. Maddie, Chimney and I follow behind Victor into Evan's room.

"I'll give you guys some privacy. I'll be around if you need me" Victor nods at everyone in the room. Maddie and Choi thank him.

Before Victor makes it out of the room, my hand reaches out for his. He freezes in place as he looks down at the touch, his eyes slowly coming up to meet mines.

"Thank you. Every time Evan has come through those doors you have been there every time to make sure he can walk out of them. Thank you, Victor."

The corner of his mouth twitches. I feel his grip tighten for a second before he lets go.

"Anytime."

I watch as he walks out of the room leaving us to be alone.

I take my spot by Evan's side, taking his hand and holding on tight as I close my eyes and pray.

"I'm so glad it's just us right now. His real family here by his side" Maddie leans into Chimney.

"Me too" I say. Honestly couldn't be happier his whole family is here. No sight of the one person who is like a leech. Who always shows up to ruin the good moments. It's just us and him, as it should be.

A small knock on the door grabs our attention. There stood a guy who I do not recognize wearing a black t-shirt underneath a black bomber jacket, tall and a bright smile across his face.

"Mind if I come in?" The stranger asks.

"SEVERIDE!! No way man, what the hell are you doing here?" Chimney strides across the room and pulls the guy named Severide into a hug

"SEVERIDE!! No way man, what the hell are you doing here?" Chimney strides across the room and pulls the guy named Severide into a hug. They hug how most men hug, patting each other roughly on the back laughing.

"Needed to get the hell out of Chicago for a bit so I said, why not pay my good buddies a visit in Los Angeles! Then I heard about my boy Eddie and Evan" he looks to Evan. "How's he doing?"

"It's Buck, what'd you expect?"
"Right, not that easy to take his ass out huh" Severide chuckles.

Me and Maddie shoot each other a confused look. Glad to know I'm not the only one who has no idea who this man is.

Realization flashes across Severides' face as he looks at both me and Maddie. He stretches out his hand to Maddie first.

"Where are my manners? Kelly Severide"
"Maddie, nice to meet you"
"Buck's sister am I right?"
"Yes, that's me" she laughs. "Anything he said about me is all true."

"Only good things about you. And you?" Kelly holds his hand out for me. I shake his hand with a smile on my face.

"Stella"
"Nice to meet you, Stella. Are you also a Buckley sibling or family member?" His blue eyes shine bright as they stare into mine.

I shake my head. "No I'm uh-" I struggle to finish my sentence. I don't even know how to explain who I am. His ex-girlfriend? The girl who's madly in love with someone who forgot about her? A friend?

"Easy Severide, that's my girl"

My heart nearly jumps out of my chest as I hear his voice. He's awake. And when I look into his eyes, I see something different. They don't look distant or cold or empty. They look warm and safe and bright.

"Evan?" My voice comes out shaky. I feel him squeeze my hand tight. Maddie starts to cry and I think it's for the same reason I feel myself starting to tear up.

"Stel! I remember"

(Been thinking of bringing in some characters you guys might know from other shows just for fun because why not ;) Kelly Severide is in town baby!!)