41. Homeless

- AVOID TYPOS AND GRAMMATICAL ERRORS -

For two damned months, putting himself to sleep was a task, with him lost in the memories of when the times were happy, just hoping or rather yearning for those moments to return. He sometimes couldn't stop the tears from filling his eyes. He would let the tears flow all night long, as at least those memories would keep him closer to her for a while. Breakups were never easy, but what made it even harder for them was that they never broke up – they were always together, yet apart, hoping that on some fortunate day, their fates will meet. And yesterday, it finally happened, and not only did they meet, but they ended up coming together in a union, that would forever hold them close. And last night when they consummated their marriage marking their eternal union, they knew, that if they were together, they could survive anything. This marriage was not only an event in their life, but something that would always remind them of their strength in togetherness, when the times would be tough.

They were much more in love after last night. And last night when they finally fell asleep after making love and talking about their beautiful future, it was the sweetest slumber that they had in a while. As he rested his head on her chest, listening to her slow rhythmic heartbeats, he slept like a baby as if someone sang him a sweet lullaby. With her beside him, he was at comfort, and with him beside her, she felt as if her life was perfect in spite of all the things that were haywire.

He smiled in his sleep, as he dreamt perhaps about their beautiful beginning. Dreams are messages from one's soul. He was contented and there was no denying that. The dream had woken him up, but still keeping his eyes closed as he lay on his stomach, he spread his hand to her space beside him, wanting to hold her close, but ended up feeling the empty space beside him, as far as his hand could reach. He realised she wasn't there in the bed beside him and he snapped open his eyes. He elevated his head from his pillow and looked around the room. She was nowhere. He lay on his back and rubbed his eyes, while he searched for his phone with his other hand. He grabbed his phone from underneath her pillow. He checked the time. It was 11:30 A.M. – Almost about to be the afternoon and he groaned as he sat up on the bed. She had her flight at the same time.

His eyes fell on the sticky note stuck on the headboard. She must've left it there. He quickly took it off and started reading what was written on it.

"I wish I could stay a little longer with you, Jojo. But, you know, I love you."

The note read. He wasn't sure if she had left without telling him. He gulped. He was scared she had already left. He called her out, wondering if there was still any chance that she hadn't left. He felt miserable – how could he just sleep off the little time he had remaining with her, and keeping it aside for a moment, how could she just leave without telling him. He was her husband now. He had that little right to know things about her. If not, then why is he even her husband?

He realised he was absolutely naked under the sheets when he tried to get out of the bed. He thought no more and wrapped the bedsheet around his waist as he made his way out of the room when he heard some noise coming from outside. Neeti wasn't home, and he was somehow sure that it could be his wife. He frowned as he followed the noises and reached the kitchen.

"Cheekoo, what were you thinkin-,"

He couldn't complete his words when he saw Neeti in the kitchen instead of his wife. Neeti, who was having some water from the glass almost spit it out in shock as she saw his attire. She could guess that he was naked beneath the sheets. Kabir too was dumbstruck. On the top of that, the marks that his wife had left on his body were so apparent as could make her reckon the wild pursuit they were up to in her absence, last night. She took a deep breath and forced a smile onto her face, trying to hide her embarrassment, while Kabir was extremely shy.