Chapter 40

Maxon's eyes grew wide with fear and... apprehension.
He catch me, as I was ready to faint.

I didn't realized it before, because I wanted to find Maxon and I was to preoccupied with the last hours events, but now the pain I was feeling grew bigger each times it came back.

Were these contractions ?

One doctor and a nurse run toward us.
They saw Maxon holding me, and myself in pain.

" What happen ?" The doctor asked, visibly Maxon, because I wasn't really capable of answering right now.
" She broke her water." Maxon let out " We need to get her to the hospital."

Another wave of pain came.
I tried to clench my teeth but it wasn't working : a cry of pain escaped my mouth.

Maxon was still supporting me by the waste, when I started to slide off his arms, on the floor.

He catch me by the waste and carried me, one arm around my back, the other one around my knees, bridal style.

" Okay. Follow me, your Majesty. We are going to take her to the palace by ambulance."

Maxon started walking, still carrying me as he followed the doctor and the nurse.

Another pain of wave arrived.
This one was the worst one I had until now.

" Ah !" I cried, feeling pain tears rolling on my scattered cheeks.
" It's okay, America." Maxon told me " You are going to be okay."

He was trying to rassure me, but I could see he was also trying to convince himself what he just said.

I doubted it was going to be okay.

I had spent two weeks in prison, with so little to eat and with almost no sleep at all.

Earlier, adrenaline was rushing through my veins but now...

I was exhausted, if it wasn't for the pain, I would have fainted from tiredness a long time ago.

My whole body was sore, I was hungry, and thirsty...

It couldn't be worse.

From now on, the voices I could hear were all far away, echoing in my mind.

" You can put her here, your Majesty." Someone said.

I heard a car door being opened and Maxon lied me down me on a seat.
I was comfy.
I wanted to sleep.

" Please hold on, America.We are almost there." A voice I couldn't recognize anymore said to me.

My eyes were now close but I knew I was still awake, because every time a contraction came, I was grunting out of pain.

I felt the car going faster.

Someone took my hand.
I couldn't think clearly anymore.

I felt like I was going to drift away, but the pain kept forcing me not to.
Until I will eventually faint because of pain.

How much time had pass ?
I don't know.

I'm just in too much pain.
Mom never said it felt like that.

I finally felt the car slowing down and then stopping.

Someone lifted me up from the seat and carried me.

I finally aloud myself to close my eyes.
It felt so good.
I could feel the sleep embracing me, pulling me to him...
And another wave of pain came.

When was it going to stop ?!

Someone than place me on a stretcher.

It started moving... well, someone was probably pushing it, because stretched don't move by themselves.