Chapter 30

There was this awful sound.

Like an alarm, but it was getting louder and louder.

I didn't know where I was...
Everything was black, with no doors, no walls and no windows.
There wasn't even a ceiling and I was walking on something which I guess was the floor, even if I couldn't see.

There were screams, cries and this alarm.
Resonating in my skull, my head throbbing with this sharp pain, like if someone was putting needles in my head.

There were voices, everywhere.
My father, my mother, Maxon, May, Aspen...

I could hear them and hear their voices, but I couldn't understand a word of what they were saying.

It was all so blurry.
And my head hurt.
My muscles were numb...

I wanted to scream.
Scream with pain, wit fear...

My eyes suddenly opened, as I stood up in a heart beat.

I wasn't in a dark place, I was in a bed.
Not my bed, thought.

The walls were an dirty yellow, and the parquet floor was an old brown.

There weren't any windows but there was a door.

An old door, with a metal handle.

The bed I was in was a dark blue, with one pillow and an cheap blanket.

Where was I ?

I didn't remember what happen quite well...

I was in the palace... in the hallway and...

Oh ! Yes ! The alarm !
I remember the alarm !
It was a rebel attack, I'm sure of it now !

But what happen next ?
I don't know...

What is sure is that I am not in the palace anymore, because I don't remember seeing this bedroom before, and if I would have been hurt, I would be in the hospital wing or in my bedroom.

And this old room was definitely not my bedroom.

As I tried to stand up, my head ached a little.

I brought my hand to my stomach, trying to feel the babies.
I felt a little kick, which made me sigh in relief.
I didn't want the twins to get hurt.

I pulled the covers off me, and put my feet on the floor, feeling the ruff wooden parquet.

I walked around the room, slowly, looking at where I was :
There was a bed, a door, a drawer and what I thought was a bathroom.

At least there was a bathroom.

Hopefully, I wasn't wearing a dress : today, I decided I wanted to put on pants, which was very wise of me to do.

I said today but... was it even today ?
I mean, I don't know how many time did I spend here.
Maybe I slept for one entire day ?

I was so tired these days, it wouldn't surprise me.

The second I thought about it, I heard muffled voices, behind the door.

What did I have to do ?
Pretend I was still asleep or facing who was behind this door ?

Before I could decide of which choice would be best, the voices became clearer and the door opened.

There was a man, in his late thirties, brown hair, light brown eyes, with an outfit I used to see people wearing back in Carolina : a pair of jeans and a t-shirt.

Behind him was a woman : she had short blond hair with grey eyes.
She was dressed the same way as the man.

They looked at me, as I looked at them.

Who were they ?
And what did they wanted with me ?

" I see you are awake, your Majesty." The man said.

I kept looking at him, trying to look fearless when it was all I wasn't.

" Who are you ?" I asked sharply.
" That's why I'm here : let's begin the presentation, would we." He replied, looking at the woman next to him.
" My name is James and this lovely woman next to me is called Jane." He told me.
" I guess you two already know my name." I said, plainly.
" Of course we do : Queen America." He answered, stressing the title.
" What do you want ? Why am I here ? And when I asked who you were, I asked about what you were part of, not your names." I asked, angrily.
" Oh. I see you have a little temper. Well, we were warned about it, though." He started " If you want to know everything, your are in the rebels headquarters, you are here because you are the queen and we need a leverage." He explained.

So they were the group of rebels who attacked us, and who killed these innocent people in Carolina.
They are the people who threatened Maxon and I and the whole country.

" Why did you do all of this ?" I asked " Killing innocent people ? I've seen what you did in Carolina. And now you kidnap me and try to make it a leverage. I thought you wanted the castes to dissolve..." I said, not understanding.

James smirked before saying " That's true. We wanted them to disappear... but the monarchy with it."
" And what do you think you will do if the monarchy ends huh ? You will reign on this country ? You will make people vote ? For you ?" I asked them.
" Sweetie, don't get disgusted by us : you are no better than us." Jane said to me.

Who did she think she was ?
And she thought she could call me sweetie ?

" I think I did so much more for this country than you ever did." I shouted to her.
She laughed at my face " Don't you see it : you are ruining this country. You are just a sad bitch who wanted power and money, so you seduced the king, made him fall for you and look at you now ! You carry his children. Well, good job. I almost believed you." She said back, spitting venom.

Did she really thought I played a game all this time ?
That I didn't love Maxon at all and that I was only interested in money ?

She don't know anything about me and I wasn't going to let her win.

" You don't know me ! You don't know anything about my life and who I am !" I shouted angrily, walking toward her.
" I don't want to know your life sweetheart. It's not interesting and I don't care about you. You will be dead at the end of this so, who cares ?" She replied, with a devilish grin.

Dead ?
Why would I be dead ?

" What do you mean..." I begun
" Dead ?" She cut me

I nodded.

" Well, you are our leverage, even if the king accepts what we ask him to do or not : we will still kill you." She said
" You..." I started to say as I threw myself at her.

I buried my nails in her shoulder as she let a moan.
She almost fell on the ground, when a few rebel guards arrived and took me off of her.

" Little whore !" She shouted angrily " You are going to pay for this !"

James, who stayed calm during all our interaction said " I am sorry you won't get to live the life you always wanted to. But life's unfair."
" I don't care what you say. Maxon is going to find me and I am going to escape this place !" I replied.
" I don't think so, darling." James said back.
" Don't call me that ." I warned.
" As you wish, your Majesty ." He answered as he started leaving.

But before he got out of the room, I asked him " What is your group called ?"

He turned toward me and replied with a grin " We like to call ourselves the No Monarchy country..."

That was strange... I felt like I already heard something like this before.

" But we like to use something shorter." He said, still grinning.

I looked at him, not knowing what was he taking about.

" And what is it ?" I asked.

This time his smile became wicked as he said
" NMC."

Huh huh...
Interesting ...
Tell me what you think and if you knew from the beginning the NMC's were bad.