Chapter 23

" What ?!" Maxon asked Daphne, like if he hadn't clearly heard what she just said.
" She kissed another guy, Maxon. I knew you were just like all the others." She said, glaring at me, with disgust.

My eyes widen and I felt sweat forming on my forehead as my hands shook a little.

Was he going to believe her ?
She said I kissed another guy when it clearly wasn't me who kissed him.
And I pushed him away !

But she hasn't seen this, she left before understanding.
Because all she wanted was to trap me, show Maxon I was bad for him, which is wrong.

It's just a big misunderstanding.

" Is it true ?" Maxon asked me, hurt.
" No !" I shouted " I mean... not in this way,
it's ... I haven't... he did... I just." I stammered.
" You don't have any excuses ! I knew it ! Can't you see Maxon ? She is only pretending to love you when in reality she cheats on you !" Daphne exclaimed.
" Don't. You. Dare. say this kinds of things when you don't know." I told her
"Daphne could you please leave the room." He asked her
" Oh. Okay. I am sorry Maxon." She said and left.

Sorry.
Of course.

She throw me a dead look, and got out of the room.

Maxon turned toward me, his eyes full of hurt, and said :
" I won't ask you another time : is this true ?"
" The way she said this : no." I replied.
" There are no way of saying this !" He exclaimed " You kissed him or not ?"

How could he think one second that I really could have kissed someone else ?

" No ! I don't kissed him..." I said, not saying it was Sir Hidson .

Maxon started walking around the room, then stopped, looking at me in the eyes :
" Is it this guy ? Sir Hidson ?"
" Yes... Maxon ... let me explain!" I shouted
" You- you...I don't understand...I thought." He begun, angrily.
" MAXON ! Shut up just one second, please !" I told him

He stood there, in front of me, like if ready to say something back but he said nothing.

" I was in the gardens with Sir Hidson, yes, and he asked me if we could talk about something important." I started "Then, he told me he had feelings for me or I don't know what exactly and I told him I didn't feel ANYTHING for him. And he kissed me."
" He kissed you ?!" Maxon suddenly let out " What the heck ?"
" Daphne is just trying to destroy everything we built by saying wrong things : she saw him kissing me but I am pretty sure she left before I could push him back or maybe she just kept this information for her." I said.
" No, she isn't trying to destroy anything. Daphne isn't like this." Maxon said to me seriously.
" Are you sure about that ? Because thinking about the way she spoke to me yesterday, I am not." I replied.
" She is my friend, America. I know she left in bad terms before the selection, but since then, it's okay between us again, and she is happy for me." He said accentuating the words he spoke.
" Maybe she still feels something for you. She was awful to me !" I shouted.
" Stop acting like a child, America. I think you can deal with your own problems alone." He replied, getting angry.

That's all she wanted : us to fight.

She was probably really happy, waiting outside of the door, with a devilish grin on her face.

"Huh ? A child ? I am not acting like a child, I am telling you how she acted toward me and you... you don't believe me ?" I asked, shocked. " You believe her ? Really Maxon ? You really thought I could have kissed someone else ? And now I tell you how I feel about what she said to me, how she treated me, and you ask me to stop acting like a damn child !" I shouted. " What... what is happening right now ? If you don't trust me, if you don't believe me and I have to explain myself because of what another girl says because she jealous, what do you want me to do about it ?" I continued.

He looked at me, studding here, not moving.
He wasn't going to say anything.

Was he even feeling guilty ?
Was he still believing her ?

" You know what : go ask her how bad of a wife and queen I am : she must have ALL the answers." I told him, speaking less loud.

I paused and then said : " I was going to tell you about this "kiss" just before she bursted into the room. I wasn't going to tell you about the fact that she called me a " Whore" last night, because as you said : I am not a child. I can deal with my problems alone. And if you prefer believing a woman you were friend with rather than your damn wife : no problem. But don't except for me to act differently !" I finally let out, as I walked out of the room and shut the door, and heard him say :
" America, wait !"

But he didn't came after me.

I felt these angry tears I kept in my eyes, rolling down my cheeks.

I run in my room, and let myself fell on the bed.

I was so tired of this.
I was so tired of fighting, of getting angry, of not trusting each other and of all those people who were always making things harder between us.

We were fighting : it was us.
We are not the best sometimes when it's about communication, but we love each other.

At least I knew he did, but did he really thought for half a second I could have kissed someone else ?
That I didn't love him ?
Didn't I prove him my love by taking the charges of becoming queen, becoming his wife and now carrying his children ?
Wasn't it enough for him to know I loved him with all my heart ?

Not knowing why, my feet lead me out of my room, toward Maxon's office.

Why am I even coming back ?
Maybe we need to talk more calmly and sort things out ?

I walked down the hallway and approached the room ready to enter it, when I heard chuckles : Daphne.

She was with him ?
And they were laughing after we fought ?

" You haven't lost your humor Maxon !" She exclaimed, in this fake amused tone.
" You think so ?" Maxon asked her
" Yes. It's even better now. Oh ! Do you remember this time were..." she started but I couldn't here the rest of the sentence, because I heard someone coming in the hallway.

All I could hear was Daphne's and Maxon's laughs in the room.

If I didn't came, I would be in my bedroom, crying maybe, when he would be laughing with the girl who partially caused this fight.

I better should go in my bedroom again.

As I walked down the hallway a second time, I saw who was the person approaching : Prince Frederick, Daphne's husband.

" Your Majesty." He said, seeing me.
" Hello, Sir." I replied politely. " What are you doing ?" I asked him.
" Hum I was wondering in the palace : it's really beautiful here !" He said, amazed.
" Glad you like it. But aren't you with your wife ?" I decided to ask, wondering why was she with my husband and why was I with hers.
" She... she doesn't want to stay with me." He replied, a little sad. " I don't know why, but every time I ask her to do something with me, she is always busy." He told me.

Busy with my husband right now it seemed.

" And what does she have to do right now ?" I asked him.
" I don't know. She just told me she wanted to be alone. And read maybe ?" He answered.

It was a little sad, because I could clearly see that he liked her but she didn't return the feeling at all.

" Oh... okay" I replied. " Well, what do you want to do here, for your last day at the palace ?" I asked him
" Oh ! No one told you ?" He asked back.
" What ?" I questioned

He smiled a little and then said " We are going to stay here for another three days or so."

I closed my eye for a few seconds.

Why. Was. The. World. So. Angry. At. Me. Right. Now.

" That's great !" I said, lying.

Votes and comments are always welcomed !