chapter 22

Home sweet home is no longer sweet home, since dad's back. I was getting used to him being away. I didn't need his lying cheating ass here.

But I am in no way in the clear I knew along about his lying cheating ass. So what does that make me if I go around judging him?

"Enjoy school" he says as he hands me my school bag.
"You really didn't have to do this" I say as another student enters the school.

"I wanted to", he smiles and right on cue the bell rings. First things first I have to get rid of this notebook. Finding Jake is not difficult at all. He's wearing the same black hoodie and sweatpants from the past three weeks.

As bodies walk past me to class I walk right behind him. It's as if my heart can fall out of my chest. I have to give this back to him and not only that but confront him too about the relationship he had with Ava. But I'm held back by my fear which paralyzes my hand from tapping his shoulder.

He turns into Mr. Bavis's class and I still haven't made any attempt to catch his attention.

I'll give him the notebook after class. The class fills in Mr. Bavis hands out our tests. A big fat 85% is written at the top right corner. My eyes search for Mazin's and he turns back to look at me. He smiles and I smile back. I should study with him often never have I had a 85% before.

"Congratulations to those of that got above 60" he clasps his hands. "You make my work easier. The rest of you on the other hand..." Mr Bavis's eyes land on Skyler's. Skyler's paper is turned over, that's when I know that she got a bad mark.

"I would like to see the following students this Saturday for extra classes. Skyler and Ameria"

"Damn they failed the test" somebody yells and the class bursts out laughing.
"Skyler no longer the top achiever."

"Okay, okay that's enough" Mr. Bavis says firmly. "This is no joke guys if you fail this year's literature you fail the year. So let this be a lesson for all of you to start paying attention in class." He looks sternly at Skyler and Ameria.

The news spreads fast about Skyler failing the test. Well, technically she didn't fail she got a 50% which isn't her usual standard. And it's eating her alive. I knock on the bathroom stall as soft cries pass through the door.
"This doesn't mean you're a failure you know."
"I know but, ugh I've never gotten anything like that", she says with what sounds like a stuffy nose.
"What am I going to tell my mom? She's going to have my ass, I'll never hear the end of this. I even have Saturday classes."

"It's not the end of the world Skyler," I say as I hold on tightly to Ava's notebook. I still don't know how to approach Jake.
"I know that! But it feels like the end of MY world."

I can never relate to Skyler. If I got that fifty I would have been fine. After all, that's what I get for math on a good day at least. Skyler's self-worth has always been in her grades even though she doesn't like admitting that.

The restroom door swings open, and from the sound of the slow drag walk I know it's Ameria.
"How is she?" She asks coldly

"Not okay" I whisper to her.
Ameria rolls her eyes, she walks closer to the stall and starts banging on it.

"Skyler it's just a bad mark doesn't mean you're going to die. Get over it."

"Seriously." I look at Ameria "Can you try to be more gentle?"
Ameria chuckles with malice "look who's talking? You want to talk about being gentle after what you said to me?"

"You were bitch too you know." I bark back.
"Whatever I'm still not talking to you until you say sorry."
"Then I guess we won't be talking at all."
The toilet flushing makes us back away from the door.
"I can't believe you would think I would do that to Ava."
I roll my eyes. "I thought you were not talking to me and quit playing the victim."
The stall opens up. Skyler's eyes are blood shot red from the tears she's cried as well as her cheeks. She's still clinging to the tissue.