Chapter 15

2020-02-12

That date flashes in my mind every day now. I can't sleep without thinking about it, that was a week before Ava's disappearance. Did she know she was about to get kidnapped?

“You not hungry baby?” My mom looks at me with a wave of worry written on her face. I look down at my fully loaded plate of lasagna.
“Uh... not really just tired.”

“You should get some sleep I'll keep this for you later.”

“Thanks.” I stand up and just as I'm about to leave the kitchen dad walks in with his dress shirt untucked and a faint smell of alcohol. My eyes immediately land on the wrinkled collar that has a smudge of red lipstick on it.

“So you finally make it to dinner after all.” Mom hisses. “I see you had a great time with Kasumi.” I'm glued to the spot unaware of what to do. SHE. KNOWS. ABOUT THE. AFFAIR.

But how? Was it two weeks ago at therapy?

“I wasn't with Kasumi, why do you always assume that” My dad lazily says.

A long pause makes it's self-apparent. Until mom's low chuckle interrupts it. “Nora go to your room,” she says through her clenched jaw. I'm still chained to floor unable to move.

“Nora go to your room,” my mother repeats herself. And I drag my chained legs to my room. And when I close the bedroom door it begins.

“How stupid do you think I am!” A scream breaks out from mom. And then I hear a glass shatter probably into bits and pieces that can't be put back together.

“Seriously" The annoyance in my dad's voice makes it's way all the way from the kitchen. Passing family pictures and fake pot plants.

“You have the nerve!” Dad's annoyance doesn't match up to mom's anger. Her rage touches the walls  cracking through the them, breaking frames and shaking door handles. It's anger with a mix of broken pieces not from the glass that has shattered but her heart that will go on shattering for the whole week.

“I can see that kiss on your collar at this point you don't even care enough to hide it anymore. From all these business trips.” She goes on emphasizing the words 'business trips.'

“I could sense that, no something just isn't right. I know your ass ain't that busy. But I brushed it off until two weeks ago when we were in therapy with Nora!”

There's a pause and I clench onto my sheets. My legs want to rush to the door and open it. My ears itch, wanting to know how she found out.

“Did you even think about Nora. Our daughter. Your only daughter, well I hope it's your only daughter.”

Ouch.

Moms hard fast moving  footsteps make me clench on harder to my sheets. She's not coming upstairs but where does she go? I need her to slow down. Don't do anything crazy. Don't...

Don't

Kill him.

Anger is such a strong emotion. It's one that will cloud your thoughts. It will drive you insane and make you want blood. If humans had emotions as superpowers I think anger would be the one to destroy a whole planet.

But mom isn't that angry to kill him. I know she isn't because when I hear the front door creak open I let go of my sheets. A small air of relief passes through my mouth. I didn't even notice myself holding by breath as well

“You need to leave.” I imagine her say. I can't listen to the conversation so I imagine it playing  out in my mind. Maybe she just opened the door and he knew what to do.