Chapter 13

Ameria abruptly stands up in shock. “Why am I next? The fuck did you say!" she lunges at the afro-haired boy. She grips his t-shirt clawing her nails into it.

“Nothing chill chill chill I didn't say anything about you. He just said I should call you next.”

“Dude come on.” Mazin begins to pull her away from the afro-haired boy. “Just get in there it won't be bad,” Mazin adds. “Wait a second,” Ameria swiftly turns to face Mazin. “We're minors we can't be questioned. So what they doing is illegal.”

“Well, technically.” Skyler chirps in. “The cops can question us without our parents. They can even hold us in jail for 24 hours.”
“Are you sure?” Ameria asks

Skyler nods her head and a memory of detective Adams saying something similar plays in my mind.
“Hell Nah, google that shit!.” Ameria yells.

I take out my phone from my bomber jacket and begin to surf the web. My fingers dance around the google search engine until words come into place.

“ It's true and they can do it without our parent's permission.” I look up at Ameria who still has the same frown stuck onto her face. “Dude chill the detective isn't that bad his just old and loves wearing black. Just answer his question. He'll probably ask what happened at Jake's party.”

“Yeah true that's what he asked me” the Afro-haired boy interjects. “Just don't try lying you'll be surprised about what he knows”

“Okay cool she relaxes her face I  guess I'll see you guys later. Remember to talk to Ava's art teacher ain't no way a bench will be the dedication for her.”

I nod my head and watch as Ameria walks away. Everything should go well for her if she has nothing to hide, but I don't think she has anything to hide. I think she's just annoyed by the whole situation.

But it's nothing compared to what I had to endure when Detective Adams walked into class and practically forced me to walk out the school.

* Flashback *

The last class is English at least it's not math or history. Ugh, I would have died to sleep. I drag my feet to class.
“Oh cheer up Nora it's just an hour until the day's done”,  my teacher says as I sluggishly walk into the class.
He pats my back as I walk past him. What a weirdo but I flash him a quick smile and pass through the desk of students.
I slam my books onto the table.
“Hey”, I greet Ameria “how was Geography.”
“Geo was Geo”, she places her head onto her hand and leans into it.
“I just want this day to end”, she sighs
“Same.” I slip into my seat.

“Okay since everyone's here.” AJ walks in stopping Mr. Bavis from completing his sentence. “Well almost everyone.” Mr. Bavis sighs as AJ finds his seat before he pulls out his chair he winks at Ameria and she blows him a kiss.

“Okay, Romeo and Juliet can I go on?" Mr. Bavis scratches his forehead.

“Yes, sir sorry,” Ameria says and AJ's chair scrapes the floor as he pushes himself closer to the desk.
“Anyways”, Mr. Bavis claps his hands “as I said I think we should start with The Shrill Shadows” Mr. Bavis grabs the thick black book on his table and raises it to the class.
“That sorta looks like a Bible,” Skyler says.
“It's not”, Mr. Bavis goes on “and I'm assuming you didn't do your homework then, but anyway”, he places the book onto the table. “Those of you that did research on the book. Care to share what it is about?”