chapter 19

“I think we're going to Ace this,” Mazin grins at me while closing his book.
“Nah I know we gonna Ace this test tomorrow” he says confidently.
I smile back at him “thanks for helping me out.”
“Anytime and I got you something,” he says as he leaves the living room.

He comes back, holding a box of tea. “Cbd tea to help you relax more, “I know you enjoyed the Calimine tea, but this is way better and don't worry it doesn't get you stoned”
I“ know it relaxes you.” I take the box from his hand. “I heard it also helps with sleep.” “Thanks I'll try it out.”

Mazin has been nothing but helpful this week. His quiled my anxiety to rest. Introduced me to music that takes you to  outer space, but also touches your heart, music that's deeper than the ocean.

His obsession with music just happens to be one of his drug choices. And by the next day when I walk up to my locker Mazin and AJ bop their heads to a song I've heard a thousand times because of Mazin..

It's smile by Saba and from a far Mazin smiles as he raps along to the song holding on tightly to his black phone. He leans back and forth to the song radiating joy. The hoodie he wears today is not far of from what he usually wears. It's a black baggy hoodie with resplendent mushrooms on it with black sweatpants

“Hey" I Immediately wrap my arms around Mazin the music blasts close to my ears.

“Smile smile smile” AJ still goes on singing. Mazin decreases the volume. “Wassup?”
“I'm good and you? You ready for the test?” I add another question.

“Yeah sure come on that's a rhetorical question,” he squints his eyes and tilts his head to the side.
“Okay okay,” I laugh “it was rhetorical”
“Damn I didn't even get a good morning AJ.”
I roll my eyes and smirk “Hi AJ.”

“Oh so he gets a hug, but I don't?” He places his hand on his chest, covering up the small Nike imprint on his beige shirt. I go in to hug him “where's Ameria?” he asks.

“Uh she's still in the car” I look down at my white vans and bite my lips. “She still...” AJ's tone lowers and I know exactly what he wants to say.

It's been a difficult week for Ameria ever since detective Adams questioned her. Whispers and eyes glare at her every step she takes.

“I bet she did it.” That's what they whisper when she walks.
“Its obvious remember the party"

In the beginning of the week, Ameria would stand her ground bark back at whoever stared at her or made snarky comments. However, as the week progressed she became tired of fighting of the vultures.

“AJ they think I did it."
“No babe come on.”
“How can you say no it's in the way every one looks at me and what they whisper. They think I'm the killer"

The conversation I overheard still haunts me. She's not the killer. There is no way she can be.

The bell rings and Mazin looks at me. “How you feeling?” I know the real question his asking is if I'm nervous.

“Fine you idiot let's go.” I grab on to his hoodie pulling him.
“Don't touch my hoodie with those hands that look like lizards”
I roll my eyes and laugh. Once we walk in Mr Bavis class it's go time the class fills up.

“Anyone seen Ameria?" Mr Bavis asks clenching on to the papers and placing his one hand on his hip.

No one says anything.

Guys I told you to be on time “we only have an hour-”

The door sequels open and the tapping of Ameria's shoes catch everyone's attention.