19

"So what are we going to do with him?" Maggie asked

"He could have information on Woodbury" Rick replied "we'll keep him in a separate cell block, away from them" glancing at Aiden, Denny and Sonny

"They don't want him here" Glenn spoke up, gesturing to the Winters siblings, looking at Rick "you heard what Aiden and Denny said in Atlanta, he beat them when they were kids. That didn't stop until Aiden took them away"

"Who's to say he hasn't changed since then?" Beth asked curiously

"Abusers don't change" Denny spoke up, his arms crossed over his chest

"When they first hit you, they'll apologize" Carol added "they'll promise to never do it again, but it always happens. Men like him don't change"

Sonny listened as they spoke, standing next to Daryl in the corner, finding comfort in his presence. She was leaning back against the wall, her arms crossed over her chest with her head slightly lowered, some didn't think she was listening, but she was. Daryl understood how she felt, she had never wanted to see her old man again, but of course, the universe decided to mess with her.

"You can let him stay" Sonny spoke up, causing all conversation to stop, everyone's attention turning to her

"Sonny. . . " Aiden trailed off

"Rick is right" looking at him "like Merle, he could have valuable information" then looking at Rick "you can keep him in a separate block. Some time in the future, you'll probably start to trust him and let him out, accept him into the group instead of treating him like a caged animal. I'll understand. But should that happen, whether he's with one of us or not" looking at everyone else "that man does not go anywhere near my son"

Rick listened to her, giving her a small nod in understanding, he didn't want Roy anywhere near Carl or Judith. He walked into the cell block, grabbing the set of keys from his belt, to take him to a separate block. The group scattered, continuing to do what they were doing before Rick called a sudden meeting about Roy, wanting to know what they thought. Sonny reached up, removing the small crusties from the inner corners of her eyes, tired from not sleeping well while knowing Roy was alive and in the same cell block as her son.

"There's somethin' for you in yer cell" Daryl informed lowly "meet me outside in ten"

She turned her head to look at him, giving him a small nod, even though she was a little confused, watching as he walked out of the dining area, outside to the courtyard. Sonny turned and walked toward her cell, pausing in her tracks when she saw a black recurve bow, a quiver of arrows and a small box of arrowheads, a smile slowly making its way on her lips. Walking in, she looked at the bow, picking it up, feeling the weight of it, a smile never leaving her lips. She sat on the bed, setting the bow down and picking up with quiver, inspecting the arrows, which turned out to be aluminum with black and white feathers. But something inside the quiver gained her attention, and it wasn't the arrows, which caused her to take them out, putting them on the bed, tipping the quiver over, causing the object to slide out.

A necklace landed in her hand, a brown leather cord, a bronze ring at the end with three feathers, the middle being longer than the other two.

It was simple, she wasn't sure what kind of store one would find the necklace in, but it was still beautiful

It was simple, she wasn't sure what kind of store one would find the necklace in, but it was still beautiful. Truth be told, she favored bronze, copper and silver over the gold shades. Sonny wasn't sure if Daryl knew the necklace was in the quiver, but she put the necklace around her neck anyway, the necklace falling to the top of her breasts, slightly adjusting one of the feathers and putting the arrows back in the quiver. She put the quiver over her shoulder, grabbing the bow and the small box of arrowheads as she stood up, walking out of her cell and making her way across the dining area. Denny followed her with his eyes, a smile forming on his lips, seeing Aiden's questioning glance,

"He totally likes her" Denny said

The doctor walked out of the prison, seeing Daryl standing in front of a target that was made by cardboard and some wood. He turned his head as she walked out, suppressing a small smile when he saw the necklace around her neck, kind of not expecting her to find it so quickly, but strangely glad she did.

"Did you give all the girls a necklace, or am I just special?" Sonny teased with a smirk, a chuckle emitting from her as he rolled his eyes, "it's beautiful, Daryl. Thank you"

He cleared his throat slightly, giving her a small nod,

"Gonna learn how to shoot first" he informed

She gave him a small nod, listening as he told her what to do, how to hold her bow, which arm would be better at pulling the string back. The bow would be held in her left hand, the string would be pulled back with her right, and the drawback had a lot of weight. It would take some time for her arms and fingers to get used to the weight, but she was patient, she wanted to learn everything about shooting a bow, as well as hunting, all because she had a tendency to assume the worst. She wanted to be prepared in case anything happened, in case they were somehow separated and her luck ran out when it came to canned foods, she wanted to be a provider. In a way, she already was. Daryl watched as she drew the string back, putting his hands on her waist to adjust her form, lightly kicking her heel with his boot, causing her to adjust her stance. He lightly tapped her elbow, causing her to raise it slightly,

"Both eyes open" he instructed

Her eyes were focused on the target in front of her, easing her hold on the string, reaching up behind her, grabbing an arrow from the quiver, notching it in place. No one was around, no one would get hurt if she missed the target completely, something she was thankful for as she drew the arrow back. Daryl watched her, looking at her stance, her form, her eyes as they were trained on the target. Before he knew it, the arrow flew through the sky, watching as it hit the corner of the target, a smile forming on her lips. It didn't matter to her if she hit a bullseye on the first try, she just wanted hit the target completely, and it was progress. She was right, Sonny was a quick learner, and it may only take a few weeks to master hunting like Daryl, she would be able to help the group even more, something she wanted to do.