Nightmares

Harry woke up in a sweat, lunging forward in panic, gasping for air. But it was a nightmare, a nightmare of death and loss. It took Harry a few seconds to look around to realise he was safe, he leaned forward with his legs hanging off the couch. He put his head in his lap as he steadied his breathing, slowly returning to the real world.

Many times he woke in distress it was the middle of the night, just as he looked at the moon in the sky he knew it was one of those times. He wiped the sweat from his brow, sneaking to the bath next to them. There was no way he'd ever get back to sleep...seeing his friends and teachers bloodied on the ground never left his mind.

Harry stripped as he sunk into the hot water he filled the bath with, enjoying the darkness. He had changed so much over the course of 7 1/2 years, he often envied his past self.

Harry scrubbed every inch of himself clean, wrapping a fluffy black towel about his hips. He was wide awake now, wishing to be reminded of the times he slept through the night. He tip toed back into the room, locking both doors. He slipped on pajama shorts and a baggy black T-shirt, walking by the canopy.

Harry froze as he almost forgot about his angry counterpart, sleeping soundly in the silk....or so he thought.

Soft but distressed groans came from inside the canopy curtains, becoming more and more violent.

Harry knew the high pitched whines that Draco made, knowing it wasn't a good noise. He opened the curtain to see Draco shaking in his sleep, crying slipping from his lips. He knew it was no different than his own nightmares.

Harry went hand to knee slowly again and again till his hand let the curtain go, shrouded in darkness. He looked over to see Draco's body curled up, tight and shaking. I know I shouldn't do this...but I know how it feels...he laid only inches away, leaning over the side of him. "Malfoy." He said softly.

Draco sobbed, squeezing the pillow in his hand, stuck in his night terror that threatened to swallow him up.

"Malfoy!" Harry grabbed Draco's hand in his own, pulling his back against his chest.

Draco didn't wake, but the shaking slowly diminished, the noises falling silent.

Harry moved the sweaty silver hair off Draco's forehead, putting his hand to his chest. For just a little while he wanted to comfort him, even if he never knew. I'm grateful he's still alive...after everything that happened to us...

Draco's body finally soothed, sleeping soundly again.

Harry slowly let go of Draco's hand, rolling away effortlessly. He snuck away and back on the couch. It wasn't even close to being time to go early for breakfast...so he wandered to the corner, sitting in the reading chair. He opened a book about healing spells and remedies to soothe wounds and sickness.

Draco was sleeping comfortably for the first time in years, it was ashame he would never know why. What is this I feel? It's nice...warm...don't leave.

Harry had fallen asleep without notice, the book sliding down to his stomach. He dreamed of when he was a child, meeting Hermione and Ron for the first time. It felt blissful, warm...but those days were gone.