Part 45: Reason to Stay🍂

|Credits: Shia_Brae|
[She was frustated with the last chapter, so she gave me this. Adorable, isn't she? I should change my username, to the angsty writer. lmao.]

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
_____________________________

UNKNOWN LOCATION
01:00

Slowly, yet painfully, those lilac eyes watched the light been taken away from her. She saw the sorrow left in everybody's face, with tears overflowing and blood smearing across their skin. She heard the scream from Sanemi, Inosuke, everyone, even her beloved big sister, that gives her enough reason to stay and not leaving any of them behind.

They don't want her to leave. That should be enough.

Even so, she doesn't want to be selfish. If this event repeats itself in the future, who knows she might ended up killing her own comrade without her own will.

Why... why is this happening to me? Kanao whispered with her eyes closed shut, letting her body float even deeper inside the portal dimension. Her whole body felt numb inside and outside, until she had thought about nothing but death.

In the dead silence, Kanao heard a soft crack at the right side of her face, it forms a pattern that emitted a pink light for a short while. It grazes her cheek like a gust of wind but stays in place, she figured it was another part she got for being a demon. Half demon, to be exact. Or else how can she react to blow her hands away when her demon self was about to land an attack to her family?

Well... doesn't matter. Her heartbeats are getting weaker and weaker. She clenched at the bottom of her almost torn up uniform, her chest binder was exposed and stained with her own blood. I'm a huge threat to the Demon Slayer Corps now.

By anytime now, they will come for her head. Or she could do herself a favour.

"Huh?" Kanao failed to stay on her feet and eventually fell on her back. "Ouch!"

The air pressure in this area plunged a subtle curiosity to her side, it was constantly flowed with haze and musky fragrance of wisteria flowers. A sudden realization dawned on her and it amplified the ringing of her ears.

Wisteria!? She throws her both palms to cover her mouth and nose, bending down like a turtle and was caught by surprise. Wisteria flowers are second to the best option to demolish a demon in split seconds, even if they took half of a sniff of its scent, their body will immidiately melt and died because of the poison.

Tears trickled down her pale cheeks, she had never thought the end of her life would be this sad.

"Wipe those pearls away, little one. The wisterias won't kill you, you see."

Hearing that, Kanao took a few seconds to rose from her turtle position, and made direct eye-contact with a pair of crimson red orbs. The stranger was leaning on a tree with a small cigarette in between their fingers, she knows that must be the person who owns the portal she just gone through.

"Are you... a demon?" Came her very first question, which resulted the stranger to stiffle a fine laugh.

"How bold are you to assume that? Well, it's not a first time afterall. I'm not a demon, I was just born with a pair of eyes similar to a demon." The stranger is a young woman, judging by her presence and her sweet-and-sour voice.