Chapter 57 - Passing Time

Winter and Spring flew by. Before they knew it, they were starting to feel the chill leave the air as April drew to a close. Since Wanda's birthday the two had formed a tighter bond. Natasha was back to sharing a bed with her girlfriend every night, and loving every minute of it.

Natasha thought that she was losing her, and she didn't want to feel that way again. She hadn't ever let herself fall for anyone as hard as she had fallen for Wanda. Wanda was the piece of her that she had long since forgotten she had lost.

They spent all their time loving each other and it only became deeper and more passionate with every passing day. Although, they weren't immune to disagreeing with each other they were confident that nothing they could argue about would divide them completely. Despite how heated the arguments could get, the two always made up and moved on. They both struggled with communicating their feelings, but were determined to try in order to make what they had work. Things were definitely better, but not perfect.

On this one bright April morning, the two walked hand in hand up the steps to the Natural History Museum in the city. Steve had found out that an exhibit about his history was being toured around the country, starting with New York. He had found it a bit hard to face himself, as he was trying to keep his mind from the past, but encouraged the rest of the team to go if they were interested.

Wanda had wanted an excuse to visit some of the more touristy spots in New York, so Natasha decided they would make a date of it and spend some time in the city. They had stayed in a hotel the night before, which Wanda thought was silly considering they lived just upstate, but Natasha insisted. They didn't really have a very exciting Valentine's Day as Wanda had been sick that week, so this was the perfect opportunity to make up for it. They still found it funny that Wanda could tear apart vibranium with her powers, but was still susceptible to the common cold.

As they made their way into the building Wanda couldn't help but stop and stare at the two giant dinosaur skeletons she was met with. Natasha turned to her and smiled, before getting out the passes they had been sent and showing them to the staff member that came to greet them. The museum was much quieter than usual, which Natasha was thankful for. Wanda had been so excited about it, and so Natasha wanted to make sure Wanda had the time and space to see everything she wanted to.

"Wow," Wanda muttered once they were alone again.

"I know. It's something isn't it?" Natasha agreed, before taking Wanda's hand again and leading her through to the next room.

The two spent hours going over everything, and while Natasha had been here before she didn't mind taking her time. She was honestly just enjoying watching Wanda taking it all in. Though, when they reached the exhibit on Steve she found herself becoming a bit emotional, as did her companion.

"It seems dumb," Natasha started as she finished reading the section on Bucky, "I've heard Steve talk about Barnes before, but I guess I didn't realise just how important he was."

Wanda squeezed Natasha's hand in support, but didn't have anything else to say. They both understood why Steve was hesitant to come. If they were finding it hard to walk through his life, how would he feel? In some ways, it was almost like being at a funeral despite Steve being very much alive and well. The person who went into the ice in the 40's did in some ways cease to exist, and the man who came out of it was still in some ways trying to figure out who he was.

"He hasn't brought up Bucky to me," Wanda mentioned as they continued walking.

Natasha shrugged, "He couldn't really avoid the topic with me. Barnes was trying to kill him at the time."

Wanda stopped, "Wait what?"

"The Winter Soldier?" Natasha began, "That's Bucky."

Wanda furrowed her brow in concentration, "I don't understand."