Chapter 53 - Birthday

Natasha POV

November went by almost as quickly as it arrived and my birthday was fast approaching. It wasn't something I typically celebrated, as I hadn't really got into them as a kid like a lot of people did. Wanda though, seemed to be ready to make a fuss, and I wasn't sure how to feel about that.

I was appreciative of the effort she was putting in, but I didn't think it necessary. I made sure to tell her this the few times a week she would kick me out of our room to work on my present. I had no idea what it could be, and the idea of receiving it made me a little excited, but more nervous than anything for some reason.

The last time I had got a present from a girlfriend, or anything close to a girlfriend was my last birthday when Maria and I were seeing each other. I didn't react to it the way she had expected, not bad exactly, but just not how she wanted me to. It resulted in an argument and she left again to head back to work. I honestly don't know why I ever thought that she and I would work out, it was a doomed relationship.

What I had with Wanda was immensely different. She was always kind, caring and open with me. Maria always kept me on the surface, nice to have on her arm at a party, but she never wanted to put the time in to break down the walls I had spent my whole life being trained to build and maintain. Wanda was slowly but surely chipping away at the front I have, and as terrifying as it all was, I'm so glad she's willing to try.

It was the night before my birthday and I had been kicked out of the room for what I hoped would be the final time, so took myself off to the common area to read my book. Steve had gone to bed early, Sam was out with some friends who were visiting, and Vision was patrolling around outside, so thankfully I didn't need to chat to anyone. I was pretty tired, and just hoped Wanda would finish soon so I could head to sleep. She said she had a whole day planned for us tomorrow, and I figured I would need to be well rested.

I got myself comfortable on the couch and flipped open my book to the page I was at. It had been a while since I had time to just relax and read, but I wasn't complaining, spending time with Wanda was always what I wanted to do. I guess though, as much as I wanted to read my book, I needed to sleep more, and I must have dozed off. Only waking when Wanda came to get me.

"Natasha," she called quietly as I blinked my eyes open.

"Yeah?" I replied sleepily, a little unsure of where I was.

"Come to bed baby," she suggested, taking my hand in her own and pulling me up from my comfy spot.

I didn't add anything to the conversation as I basically sleep walked to the room. Not bothering to head to the bathroom, I crawled up in bed and tried to keep my eyes open long enough for Wanda to get in beside me. Once she snuggled into my back, that was me set for the night, and my eyes didn't open again until morning.

"Happy birthday!" Wanda called out, and I jumped up out of the bed in panic.

She looked at me a little puzzled and once I realised what I had done I rubbed my eyes and sat back down on the bed.

"Sorry about that," I laughed, leaning in to give her a kiss, "Good morning love."

"Good morning," she returned, "I guess you were pretty tired last night huh?"

"I guess so," I yawned in confirmation.

"Do you want to go back to sleep?" she asked, her eyes a little hopeful I would say no. I dropped my gaze to where her hands should be, and saw that they were held behind her back. Likely holding the gift she was about to present to me.

"Of course not!" I assured her, "You have a whole day planned."

She beamed at my response, and I figured that even if I wasn't big into my birthday, Wanda was too excited not to let her make a fuss. If she was happy, then I would be happy.