Chapter 39 - Retracing Steps

A/N: Sorry this is late! Work was mega busy this morning and it slipped my mind until now!

After they ate dinner, the two women settled in for an early night. Wanda hadn't been sleeping too well since Natasha had come back, having sat up most nights worrying about her, and Natasha's pain medication was strong enough that she couldn't stay awake for long after she took it. On the doctors orders Natasha had to sleep on her back, and this unfortunately meant some light snoring was expected. Wanda didn't mind though. She watched her sleeping love, and was comforted knowing she was safe with her. Wanda fell asleep within minutes.

Despite the long and deep sleep she received, she wasn't best pleased to be woken up early the next day. She could feel a poking in her sides, and instead of investigating she grunted and rolled over. As she tried to continue her sleep, she couldn't ignore the giggling from her companion beside her.

"Go away," Wanda warned grumpily.

"You gotta get up," Natasha laughed.

"Why?"

"Don't you have training this morning?"

Wanda groaned again into her pillow. She forgot that she had arranged to get back into training with Steve this morning, having taken a few days break to keep Natasha company. However, as Natasha was feeling much better, and had been returned to her room, Wanda had no excuse not to get back to work.

She rolled over in the bed, to look at Natasha and any grumpiness lingering quickly faded when she caught a glimpse of Natasha's smile.

"I was thinking," Wanda started, "That maybe I could take today too. Just as a kindness, you know...to make sure that you'll be okay without me."

"Oh were you?" Natasha played along, "I don't know how I managed before." She pretended to be confused, and Wanda could only laugh at her goofy expression. Wanda gently pulled herself over on the bed, and lay her head in under Natasha's arm, just slightly resting on her chest.

"Am I hurting you?" she asked, knowing that Natasha was still sore.

"Not at all," Natasha assured her, and pulled Wanda closer.

Wanda sighed, "This is nice."

"Mhmm," Natasha agreed, "But do you know what would be nicer?"

"What?" Wanda asked curiously, looking up at Natasha.

"If you got your lazy ass out of bed before Rogers breaks the door down," she laughed, as she gently rolled Wanda off of her chest.

"Rude," Wanda commented, as she resigned to getting up and headed for the bathroom.

While she watched Wanda walk away, Natasha picked up her phone and checked through her notifications for anything interesting. She didn't have social media per say, but still liked to look through and keep up with current events. As she scrolled through nothing of any great interest or importance, Wanda emerged again from the bathroom with a toothbrush hanging out of her mouth.

She mumbled something in Natasha's direction, but she couldn't quite understand her past the toothbrush and toothpaste.

"What?"

"I said," Wanda started taking the brush out of her mouth, "What do you want for breakfast?"

"Oh, I don't mind."

Wanda just stood there looking at her, so Natasha raised a brow as if to ask why.

"Just tell me," Wanda laughed.

"I really don't mind. Whatever you're having works for me."

Wanda shrugged, smiled and headed back into the bathroom to rinse her mouth and put her toothbrush away. She came back into the room a moment later, and rushed over to Natasha who was trying to get up off the bed.