Chapter 8 - Eyes Open

Wanda stared at Natasha who was still laid out on the mat. Wanda, completely in shock, had no idea what to do. Her gut had told her that she shouldn't have hit Natasha, but she had told her to. She could see Natasha's chest rise and fall, so knew she wasn't dead, but why wasn't she getting up?

After a few moments, Natasha groaned.

"Ughh-"

"Natasha! Are you okay? I'm so sorry. Are you hurt?"

"Shh."

"Shh?"

"You're shouting."

"I shouldn't have hit you."

"I told you I could take it."

"I think you were wrong."

"I'm not dead, am I?"

"No?"

"Then I wasn't wrong."

Natasha finally opened her eyes, and they grew wide when she saw how close Wanda was to her.

"Don't do that again."

"Do what?"

"You scared me," Wanda admitted quietly.

"Aw, come on Maximoff. I've been knocked down worse than that before. Now help me up."

Wanda reached out a hand which Natasha grabbed, and she pulled the woman to her feet.

"So yeah, Steve was right. You are packing a punch," Natasha laughed.

"I don't want to hurt anyone."

"None of us do, that's what makes us the good guys. Thing is though, the bad guys really want to hurt us."

Wanda remained quiet.

"Look, it doesn't look like you need any help in creating power, more just how to control it. We can work on that."

"Now?"

"Oh no. I mean I'm strong, but wow you put me on my ass. I need a sit down."

"Let me help me to your room."

Natasha could walk on her own, but Wanda insisted on helping so the two left the training room and headed back upstairs. On the way they bumped into Steve.

"Nat, you okay?" he asked, seeing Natasha holding her ribs.

"Right as rain in a few hours."

"I hit her-" Wanda began.

"We were training. I told her to," Natasha interrupted to explain.

"You did this to her?" Steve laughed, looking at Wanda.

Wanda was confused by his reaction, and nodded in reply.

"Well I'm sure glad you're on our side," he added before patting Wanda on the shoulder and walking away from them.

The two women continued on along the corridors until they got to Natasha's room.

"I got it from here," Natasha said when they reached the door.

"Can I get you anything?"

"I just need a lie down, and I'll be fine."

Natasha saw the worried look in Wanda's eyes so added, "I promise. It takes a lot more than one shot to take me out."

"You weren't moving though."

"Well yeah, I think you knocked me out for a sec, but only a sec."