Chapter Fifty-Seven

Quinn's POV

    Jayce left before giving me any helpful information but it was clear he was more connected in this underworld than he wanted to admit. It was possible he is from another mafia but seeing how my family as well as Nik's and all the mafia's I have hacked most don't allow their teenage children into the fold until they at least graduate high school. However, I was beginning to find out that focusing solely on the mafias was a mistake. There was another group or groups out there that seemed to go unnoticed by most if not all the mafias. Their role on the game board was unclear but I knew they were there.

    I spent all night hacking trying to find clues about this entity after filling in my twins about everything that happened with Nikolai. Unsurprisingly they played the protective part for a bit before texting Addison and Willow and now are trying to come up with ship names for us. Avery also let it slide that she and Viktor were somewhat involved, whatever that meant in her world. We may be twins but there will forever be some things I wouldn't understand. I wasn't sure what was happening with myself and Nikolai completely, he texted me a few times but I stuck to what we were working on rather than talking about what happened. Avery and Sawyer didn't know about the Presley thing but they had to have had some suspicions that something was up considering their initial protectiveness. If I was someone else I would hack his phone to see what was really going on between him and Presley but that would be wrong.

    Saturday morning came around and I was running on no sleep, not a good scenario considering we would be surrounded by people this afternoon but it was too late to change that now. Avery and Sawyer slept almost as little as I did. Avery was up drawing presumably working on her gifts for us considering it was our birthday today and she always did presents at the last minute where Sawyer and I always planned months ahead with them. Our gifts were simple. I'd always compile a new soundtrack, list of podcasts, or a new set of codes for each of them. This year they would get their own copies of all the hacking and information piling of the mafia's I have gotten so far. It wouldn't have everything but most of it was on the files. Sawyer always got us books or wrote us stories depending on the year. And Ve always drew us something. Sawyer however was working on the book with Elliott at least that was what he claimed although he seemed to be messaging with him more than writing.

    "You know staring at a computer too long will fuck up your vision right, Quinny?"

    I looked away from my screen rolling my eyes, "Whatever you say Avy."

    "Attitude much?" I stuck my tongue out at Sawyer and he laughed as he ducked into the bathroom.

    "Happy birthday to you, dumbasses." To many it was rude but to us, it was Avery's unique way of saying 'love you'.

    I only murmured a 'happy birthday' back. We didn't really celebrate our birthday, often choosing to forget it other than giving each other gifts at the end of the night. Avery rolled her eyes even though she surely expected this reaction from us as she pulled the computer out of my hands.

    I was about to protest but she beat me to it, "Relax, I'm saving what you're working on but we need to get ready for today." She faked excitement but as always her sarcasm was obvious. I gave her a curious look and she shrugged, opting to collapse on the bed rather than talk out her thoughts about today, "You gonna be okay?"

    I sigh softly and cuddle up next to her, "Mhm, I have you and Sawy."

    She just hummed quietly, "It's strange you know, being here, celebrating and shit."

    I know, Avery much as she liked to hide it liked routine she may put up a front but behind it was someone begging for any sense of normalcy she could get. It gave her more control, something she craved as much as I craved knowing things. The last time things were like this was when we were with Papi and that was all torn away from us in less than a day. Sawyer came out of the bathroom and with one look at him, we vetoed his outfit sending him back to wear something less bright and matched better. He was clearly too tired to care about picking something to wear. Once he was back and got our approval Avery shoved me gently off the bed as Sawyer collapsed next to her with a smirk as she bounced a bit. She called him fat and they bickered as I shut the door.