Chapter Twelve

Avery's POV

    I walk into the house alone looking for Sawyer and Quinn. Jacob was screaming. The walls were covered with blood. Everything was covered with blood. I see Sawyer on the floor blood all around him I try to run to him but I can't

    "Avery!" I look over and see  Quinn tied to the chair and Jacob is screaming at her but I can't make out what he is saying.

    "Quinn I'm coming it's going to be ok," I try so hard to get to her but I can't an invisible force holding me back as I watch Jacob stab her over and over I scream at him to stop but he doesn't Quinn's blood spatters everywhere as she pleads for me to help her. I try everything but I lose my ability to talk and Jacob turns towards me.

    "Avery! Wake up, it's a dream!" I slowly opened my eyes hoping that I wasn't hearing things. I am greeted with Sawyer's and Quinn's worried eyes and Quinn hugs me when I calmed down a bit.

    "Are you ok, Ave?" I nod my heart still pounding.

    "Want to talk about it?" Sawyer's voice is tentative knowing that me and talking about nightmares is a rare occurrence.

I shake my head, "Not right now."

    Quinn looks me over then smiles, "Let's take showers and then go downstairs." I took the obvious change of subject and we all split up going to our other rooms so we could all shower faster.

Sawyer's POV

    I was worried about Avery's nightmare if Quinn and I weren't awake when it started and were not able to stop it then Alessandro and the rest may find out about things we will never tell them. I take my time in the shower enjoying the warm water for a bit before getting out and throwing my clothes on making sure all my bruises and scars are covered. Right now the only one of us with bad injuries is Quinn, we had to stitch up a stab wound last week, she had a burn on her thigh for when we're late getting dinner ready, and then she had the cuts on her back, and her shoulder was probably more messed up than she was telling us.

    I met my sisters back in our room and we headed downstairs. It was still early so no one was in the halls to bother us. We headed downstairs and surprisingly heard voices from the kitchen and under a silent agreement we headed towards the kitchen with Avery in the lead. We walked in and were greeted by Alessandro, Leonardo, Remo, and Dante. They all smiled when we came in which was definitely creepy. We kept our blank faces up.

    "Good morning piccolos how did you sleep." Dante seemed to be in a good mood again today.

    "Fine," Avery was definitely not in a good mood today.

Remo frowned, "What do you want for breakfast?"

We all gave him a look, "We don't eat breakfast."

"What about something small, toast or something?" Remo pushed this for whatever reason.

"No thanks." I was annoyed with his insistence and they all frowned but let it go. We sat at the kitchen table waiting for them to talk.

"We didn't say it last night but we are sorry about what happened to your adoptive mother." Alessandro's eyes were fixed on us probably looking for a reaction from us.

"It's ok." He frowned at my words.

"Right, well just so you are aware you three may have to testify in your stepfather's case we are trying to get you guys out of it but it is a possibility and if we have to we will all fly out and then go together." Inside I knew all three of us were terrified about seeing Jacob but on the outside, we all either shrugged or nodded.

"Also the twins and Francesco will be taking you shopping today while the rest of us have to go to work." As Leonardo spoke the twins and a tired-looking Francesco walked in.

Adriano glared at us and Francesco brightened up when he saw us, "We don't need to go shopping." Avery was still not in the mood to deal with people much less these people.

"You all only have one pair of clothes so you're going shopping. You guys also need school supplies as well as other things." Alessandro was determined to make us go and we weren't going to be able to change his mind.

I rolled my eyes, "Fine."

Francesco beamed at the three of us, "This is going to be a lot of fun!" Yeah, I highly doubt that, the three of us have always hated shopping and now going out with them is going to make it a lot worse.

"Watch the attitude, Sawyer."

I rolled my eyes again to annoy them and the three of us stood and left the kitchen with Angelo yelling at us to be ready in ten minutes.

We headed back up to our room where Quinn took another pain killer and we all put our shoes on. After a few minutes, we headed back downstairs where we could hear them all talking so we paused at the top of the steps out of eyesight.

"They don't fucking belong here, dad." Well at least Adriano has figured that fact out although it still annoyed me that he was saying it, we didn't ask to come here.

"Watch the language, Adriano. They are your baby siblings which makes them belong here." He sounds bored of this either he didn't care or he has heard this before.

"They aren't our siblings. We didn't know they existed a couple of days ago. They should be in foster care."

"I agree with Adriano, their clothes smell of smoke and drugs dad." Well, there's the grumpy Dante we all know and hate.

"They could be lowlife druggies and sluts dad, they also have not discipline or respect." I wasn't sure if Angelo was just backing up his twin or actually believed but those words definitely hurt. I grabbed Quinn's hand knowing that she was taking this the hardest she has always hated when people insulted her or us and took it to heart where Avery and I have learned to brush it off more.

"We could look for another solution. They don't even seem like they want to be here or a part of this family," And in comes Leonardo to fix the issue.

"Enough! They are your siblings and they will grow to accept us. They are my children and your siblings. They will be staying here and you all will respect them. If that is a problem then you can see me for a discussion in my office." His deep commanding voice made me tense up a bit and I felt Quinn do the same although I did feel some gratitude that he kinda stood up for my twins and me.

There was a murmur of voices after that and a minute later Avery began to walk down the stairs when we came into eyesight they all snapped their heads towards us. Some of them looked guilty while Leonardo had his classic stone face on and Adriano smirked at us. We all kept our faces blank and I arched a brow, "What's up."

"Nothing just getting ready to leave." Well, Alessandro is a good liar if I didn't hear the conversation I might have believed him.

I shrugged, "Let's go then."

Francesco led us out to the garage where there were a variety of expensive cars and Angelo grabbed a set of keys to a Range Rover with seven seats. The twins sat in the front seats and Quinn and I got into the back row and Avery and Francesco sat in the middle row with Avery ignoring Francesco's rambling looking out the window as we left the garage.