UNREQUITED (Kuroo Tetsurou)

Magsimula sa umpisa

"I should get to know her first." You decided, fist hitting your hand with a smack, determination written across your face. Kuroo's laughing fit died down and his smile faded a little as he listened to you go on about your plan to get to know Kaori better.

To Kuroo, you were just the cutest little thing- face flushed, eyes shining brighter than the stars in the night sky, a silly little smile playing across those soft, luscious lips that he'd kill to kiss.

If he drowned out your words and just listened to your sweet voice, he could pretend that you were telling him about your day, never even mentioning that girl you saw during it. He could pretend that he lived in your apartment with you. That you were turning that lovesick expression towards him. That you loved him even half as much as he loved you.

Kuroo had countless girlfriends in the past, none of those relationships lasting long. Maybe if you'd paid a little more attention, you'd notice that every single one looked frighteningly similar to you.

But as much as Kuroo liked to play pretend with those girls, no matter how many similarities the two of you might have in common, they weren't you. Their faces didn't match yours, their eye colors and hair colors were always a little off, and their personalities were all over the damn place, not able to compare to you in the slightest.

After every breakup, you would tease him, asking him when he'd finally get serious and settle down with someone. God, he wanted to grab you by the shoulders, shake you, and just yell "I do want to settle down with someone! I want to settle down with you!"

But he wasn't stupid. You'd either turn him down or think he was joking. And if you turned him down, your friendship would become awkward. And right now, friendship was all he could confidently say he had with you. If he lost that...

Kuroo's frown deepened as his chin dug deeper into the knuckles it was resting on. This Kaori girl was making his life miserable, and she didn't even realize it. She'd never understand how lucky she was to have your adoration. But Kuroo would understand, and he'd never take it for granted. He'd grab onto that feeling and never, ever let it go.

With other girls you'd crushed on in the past, Kuroo was able to play matchmaker behind the scenes. Get one of his classmates, friends, or even someone from his high school volleyball team to date or, at the very least, hook up with her. You'd always be so brokenhearted, stuffing your face with ice cream and giving up on your crush for good.

As sad as it made him feel, it was always such a delicious pleasure to have you throwing your soft little body into his muscular arms and gripping his shirt like you'd die if you let go. He didn't mind the tear stains or the ranting or the crying or the moping- in fact, it put him on cloud nine to know he was the first one you'd trust when you were in such a miserable mood.

Only problem was, no one seemed particularly interested in Kaori. She wasn't particularly popular and pretty much everyone Kuroo knew was already in a relationship or was pining after some other girl.

He even tried calling up some of his old Fukurodani friends when he remembered she was the team manager when they were in high school. Akaashi didn't even stay on the phone for a full two minutes before turning him down. And Bokuto? Turned him down too. After four straight hours of talking Kuroo's ear off and practically begging the rooster-topped ravenette to meet up with him again sometime, since they hadn't seen each other in at least 3 years.

Kaori never went to clubs, as far as Kuroo could tell. No bars, either. There was no way for him to get proof of her being with some other guy or girl if she didn't even go within fifteen feet of someone not in her little gaggle of friends.