Chapter 1

It was raining as the carriage moved through the muddy road leading to the town of Borgel. Situated in the lap of a fell, the town is the only centre of business in around 120 kms where the nearest railway station is situated. Heir Ervyn Quetil  of the Quetil family last visited their estate here at Borgel two years ago when he was forced to go on a vacation by his family when his attitude had driven good men seeking his hand from the family. Back then everyone was talking about the unruly carrier, Heir Ervyn Quetil in the nearest city of Uruqual situated 360 kms away from this small town.

 Now, Ervyn was back again, forced by his father to spend some time at their estate here. The estate is located on the other side of the fell and they won’t be able to make it that far by carriage when it is raining this badly. His father perhaps foresaw this. Ervyn knew they had two rooms booked at The Great Alder Inn, a very unremarkable place if he remembers right. Ervyn’s manservant was looking out the window.

“We are at the Inn Master Ervyn,” said Struan, a carrier himself but younger than Ervyn. Struan Reid is among one of the few people Ervyn gave a damn about and very much plans on finding him a good husband himself.

Ervyn got down and the took a  look at the Inn. He remembers it differently. It was out of commission for years. Recently someone with new money bought the Inn from what he understood during the conversation between his brothers and father. They stepped inside. There were couple of people sitting around a table. Except for them the Inn seemed empty. Ervyn is sure he looked out of place in this Inn in the middle of nowhere what with his fancy suits and luggage and he has only carried his moderate wardrobe.

His father followed close behind and had an air of seriousness about him as he reached out to the restaurant area. There was a man, his tall silhouette visible from this far. He had a rakish look as made clear when the light fell on his face. But the man sure had an aristocrat’s shape. Uneducated country men are not his type. However, the man looks up and his eyes fall on Ervyn. There is so much assertiveness in the way he looks and almost presses Ervyn on the spot. He then looks back at Ervyn’s father Lord Fraser Quentil and the conversation continue. The man nods to his staff who brings two keys and handed over one to his father’s manservant and then led them up.

“My name is Gavin. I am the bartender and housekeeper here,” said Gavin, his eyes lingering on Struan who flushed red at the attention.

“Struan, you may follow behind me,” he told the boy who nodded looking grateful and moved behind him. Gavin bowed after opening the door.

“Please make yourself comfortable Heir Quetil,” said Gavin and then gave some instructions to Struan who listened intently before following him inside.

“Do not go outside without me present,” said Ervyn.

“Thank you Master Ervyn,” he smiled softly and walked over to help him undress. 
 Ervyn then took a relaxing bath and changed into casual wear which may be more luxury than the province chief here has. However, he is not expecting his father to call him for a personal conversation before they have dinner. Really, what is there to speak so urgently before they reach the estate. He liked it in the estate anyway, even though it was an adult version of grounding. Ervyn is the youngest of five brothers. His older brothers have pampered him the  most what with him being the only carrier and the youngest. His parents too. After his brothers married, naturally their wives or husband in one case were very efficient in driving a wedge.

 They didn’t like how he was treated and with his other dad no more, he only had Struan for company. The boy was left alone when his mother who was Ervyn’s governess passed away and he had nowhere to go. His father insisted that if the boy continue to stay he can only stay as a staff and that the pay should be made from his monthly allowance if he is keeping the boy as his staff. The kid is helpful, even though he is close to 16 years of age. 
His father was sipping on his rather expensive whiskey when Ervyn made his way inside. Kai, his father’s manservant bowed and left them to talk.