fifty five

Hallie's POV:

Today was the day. It was most definitely one of the biggest moments in not only my life, but Rafe's life as well, and to say I was nervous, was actually an understatement. My mind was going through all sorts of emotions as Kate fixed my hair, and as much as I hated to admit it, I was starting to get scared.

What if Rafe was just marrying me because he felt obligated after everything we had been through? I know that was far fetched, but it could possibly be the reality and it wasn't leaving my thoughts. He had put up with so much ever since we had gotten together in the OBX, and I hadn't really taken the time to process that until now. On the biggest day of our lives.

My mood started to sway by the idea, not able to wrap my head around the fact that, maybe he really just felt bad for me?

"Hallie." Kate tapped my shoulder, trying to get my attention, "Hey Hal, what's going on?"

At that point, I had met her eyes and instantly saw the concern in them. Everyone else had also turned their worried gazes towards me, and I start could feel the anxiety bubbling in my chest from all the sudden attention.

"I- I don't know." I mustered out, running my hands over my arms feverishly, "Just a little nervous, I guess."

Emma came over to me immediately, "Hal, look at me."

I did as she said, meeting her eyes, and watched as she spoke up again.

"You have absolutely no reason to be scared right now, or nervous, any of that. And you wanna know why?"

"Why?"

"Because I have never seen anyone more in love with you Hal. Rafe Cameron is absolutely head over heels for you, and I think that boy would probably jump off a freaking cliff for you if you asked. I have never seen you so happy as you are with him, and honestly, from what I've heard, I don't think he's ever been as happy as he is now with you, babe." She grabbed my hands, "You two are soulmates, and nothing you or him could do will ever change that. You love him, he loves you, so go do what you are destined to do. Marry him."

I was trying to hold back the tears as she finished, not able to contain my emotions, and she gave me a stern look, "But there's no crying, stop that! You're gonna ruin your makeup."

We both laughed as she ran her thumb under my eye carefully, not wanting to mess anything up, and then she rested her hand on the side of my neck, "Are you gonna be okay?"

"Yeah." I swallowed, "You're right though,
I think just the stress we've been undergoing with the planning stuff has made everything feel like a blur. It's like I kept forgetting what we were working so hard for."

"Trust me Hal, Tom and I went through the same ordeal. It is perfectly normal, but once the ceremony is over, I promise all of that will just wash away like someone poured water on your body." She smiled.

Kate spoke up to me after that, "Hal, you've got a killer man out there waiting for you, so do you think we could get this show on the road?"

"Oh yeah." I laughed, and turned to my friends, "I'm sorry, I think it's just the usual jitters."

Sarah gave me a warm smile, "You're perfectly okay."